It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am 
356 Fan

Be careful when reinstalling the oil filter cap after changing the filter. Not only can oil leak past the gasket but if the bolt is not seated with the proper copper washer you may find your engine compartment covered with oil. The washer supplied by one of our venders is narrow and has a way oversized ID so it does not fit snugly on the bolt and because of the narrow width, even when carefully centered, it’s nearly impossible to get a good seal. I just tossed 2 after having no luck and lots of cleaning up oil, annealed the old one with a torch and it worked perfectly.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 am 
356 Fan

Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.
Tim, is it possible you bought the wrong copper seal as there is a choice because there are at least two different bolt sizes used because of the difference between the filter cans. See this article.
https://porsche356registry.org/article/230

David Jones #9715

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:38 am 
356 Fan

David
I believe you are correct. They have a 16mm x 22 mm and a 12 x 18 both described for 356 and 912. SO a cautionary note to self "use the proper washer and don't just search for copper washer". Thanks
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 pm 
356 Fan

I have a question concerning the oil filter canister. In the Heidi and Franny's Garage video on changing the oil, when Franny takes off the top of the canister she mentions it has a spring. Later on when she is putting the top back on you can clearly see it. I know the canister in my C does not have the spring. Should it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 pm 
356 Fan

Larry Haskett wrote:
I have a question concerning the oil filter canister. In the Heidi and Franny's Garage video on changing the oil, when Franny takes off the top of the canister she mentions it has a spring. Later on when she is putting the top back on you can clearly see it. I know the canister in my C does not have the spring. Should it?

At least one of the cannisters has that spring (or should), but to be honest, I'm not sure what it is intended to accomplish. It's not like the filter element has a lot of freedom-of-movement without it.