Brake drum cleaning

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Close
356 Fan

Brake drum cleaning

#1 Post by Alan Close »

I would like to know if anyone out there knows of a method for cleaning the outside the cast aluminum brake drum. I've had one sandblasted for a good result, but that involves removing the drums which I want to avoid.

Alan Close '56 coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Brake drum cleaning

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

The ones I've done have been removed and cleaned using a brass wire wheel in a bench grinder. If you don't want to remove them, perhaps use a brass wire wheel on a hand-held drill motor. Of course, if the drums aren't too bad, you might be able to use some type of cleaning solution. We all have our preferences for cleaning.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Use aluminum specific cleaner a liquid wash containing acid.
Usually peddled from a pie wagon servicing detailers, truck wash and Featherlite trailer outlets.

There are Alloy wheel cleaners specifically for non painted alloy's a bit less aggressive.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

This falls into the “ how far do you want to go” category. The prior cleaning methods do work to an extent, but at the end of the day taking the drums off, bead blast, and send them to the tumblers works pretty well. You can check for spline wear at the same time.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#5 Post by Michael Foster »

I would never sandblast or beadblast as I think that breaks the "skin" and makes them even more porous. Best way is to take them off have them tumbled or might try vapor hone or blast with soda.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER