356/912 Sump Plate

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: 356/912 Sump Plate

#16 Post by Neil Bardsley »

How important is the slump screen? At my last oil change I noticed the screen had a slight tear in it near the edge. I repair by pinching together but maybe I need to replace it? I had a little bit of fur on the magnetic but nothing bright. I will check again at the next oil change.

I try to be very careful when working with the slump plate off but my garage floor isn't super clean so I place objects on a try or paper. However, just sometimes putting my hand on the floor picks with dirt so I'm constantly having to clean my hands before refitting. I sometimes worry about introducing more dirt when I removing!

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#17 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Your concern is appropriate. The screen keeps chunks from getting inhaled by the pump gears. Chunks can get in if the screws which secure the engine sheet metal on top of the cylinder heads back out and fall to the side.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Robert Vaughan wrote:Your concern is appropriate. The screen keeps chunks from getting inhaled by the pump gears. Chunks can get in if the screws which secure the engine sheet metal on top of the cylinder heads back out and fall to the side.
and unfortunately I have had a problem with those screws becoming lose recently so I have lockited them!