Shifter selection question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Reed
356 Fan

Shifter selection question

#1 Post by Robert Reed »

Hey folks;
I finally have my 62 coupe sitting on the ground; but now cannot find reverse. The fuel line in the tunnel was replaced into the tunnel (PO had a rubber fuel line beneath the floor pan), and I’m wondering if perhaps I messed something up with the shifter in doing that.

How/what is happening when pushing down on the shift lever? I can’t really get a grasp of the concept of how this was designed and what is happening.
I have a few other issues to resolve as well, the 40idf’s are idling very nicely but no accel pump action, the clutch is stuck, and a few little items. All in all, after 22 years sitting, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you for being there for us weekend warriors!
Bob

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Shifter selection question

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I doubt a new fuel line has anything to do with it. IF-big if- everything is put back together correctly you just need to adjust correctly. Put transmission in 2nd gear. Loosen clamp on rod at rear of tunnel, move shift lever towards drivers seat until resistance. Tighten clamp. Them make sure that when in neutral lower part of shift lever is 90degrees to floor. If this adjustment doesn't allow shifting into all 4 gears and reverse report back.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Also make sure the lock out plate is correctly positioned.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#4 Post by Robert Reed »

Mike;
I didn’t do anything to the lockout plate; I did put a new shift ball bushing in though. The rod bushing is still in place.
The shifter will not push down at all, hence my second question. I would still like to know what is actually supposed to happen and how it works. Anyone that can clue me in?
Thanks,
Bob

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Robert Here is a link that discusses how the reverse lock out tab works with a picture. I am also going to ad a picture that shows the "ridge" on the lockout plate which needs to be on Passengers side of the assembly. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38958&hilit=reverse+shifting Also it is possible to have that ridge so worn that reverse lockout no longer functions. Also possible that some time in the past your shifter has been updated to later style. If you take your shifter out please take pictures so we can be sure which shifter you currently have.
Attachments
20180303_130216.jpg
20180303_130216.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 900 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Reed »

Doug, thank you for that link; very informative stuff! You are so very helpful with those links. I certainly didn’t find that information when I was searching.
I will try that tomorrow, and see what I discover.
Thank y’all for the assistance!
Bob

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#7 Post by Geoff Fleming »

After replacing the shifter bushing at the base, are you positive the shifter has seated fully into the cup? It sometimes takes a strong smack on the top of the knob to fully seat everything. Everything must be fully seated before the bits will work properly.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Just to be clear-you smack the plastic cup to seat it on the knob.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#9 Post by Robert Reed »

Geoff and Doug; got a good grin from that reply!
I am quite sure that I got the cup onto the ball properly, however, it was difficult to get the cup down into the peace pipe. It felt like it went in eventually, but certainly put up a strong fight. Perhaps it didn’t go in all the way; hmmm. I expect that it’s not going to come out easily either; any words of advice on pulling it back out?
Bob

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Robert makes sure remnants of the old cup are not still in the peace pipe. It happens.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#11 Post by Robert Reed »

Doug,
I was quite diligent in that effort, it took a little while to get all the old remnants out. I just had a time getting the shifter with the new cup to feel like it bottomed out. That’s the reason I was asking if there was a good way to get it back out...
Bob

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Hopefully you put a dab of grease on the outside of the cup. If so twist and pull at the same time.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#13 Post by Geoff Fleming »

The new bushing acts like a piston being pushed into a cylinder with no way for the air to escape. This will create a resistance and smacking the shift knob helps to drive this air out. Removal is much easier, requiring a modest amount of pressure.
I’ve done this dozens of times and find some shifters go together with no drama while others fight every step of the way.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Sometimes it looks like all of the old cup has been removed; HOWEVER! There can still be a remnant at the bottom of the cup; looks nice and smooth, like it belongs there. I generally punch a screwdriver into it and twist it out.
Never had a problem installing the new cup into the cylinder.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#15 Post by Robert Reed »

Guys; I didn’t have an opportunity to work on it today. Looks like I need to strip the interior before I can get to the shifter to work on it. I do at least understand now how the lockout plate works, thanks for the excellent photo.
I’ll try to get a couple of pics when I do get the shifter out.
Bob