The ultimate geezer modification

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Weyand
356 Fan

The ultimate geezer modification

#1 Post by John Weyand »

The turn signal indicator in the dash blinks continuously. The turn signal and brake lights work as they should, but the dash light continues to blink. ( I recall a column when John Glenn did his senior citizen orbit suggesting a turn signal that stayed on through the orbit so other orbiters would know it was occupied by a senior driver.) In my case it only blinks in the dash light. It will stop only when the brake light is activated.
I had the turn signal switch restored this past winter by the folks at http://www.type356a.com/blinkerswitch.html I put in the newly restored switch this spring and it worked fine. About a month ago I thought it had a problem when the fuse blew on that circut but I traced the problem to the back-up light so it's been disconnected and the problem solved until today. This morning while driving to town I flashed the lights (with the high beam trip in the signal stalk) and when I used the turn signal at the next intersection it seemed that it didn't cancel. When I checked it with the stalk, it was in the cancelled position but the dash light continued to blink. Moving the stalk in every position did nothing to stop it. But pressing the brake to trip the stop lights halted the blink only while the stop lights were lit. My grandson got out and checked the lights to find that the outside lights all worked as they should--only the dash light continued to blink.
I have LED lights in the tail-turn-brake lights and a LED in the dash indicater arrow.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: The ultimate geezer modification

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

My knee-jerk reaction is that the switch is mis-wired.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Are you using an electronic flasher unit, such as the one sold by Zims ? Non-electronic flasher units are notorious for being wonky in 356's with LED lights and bulbs due to their low current draw.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

John Weyand
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Weyand »

I installed the electronic flasher with the LED tail lights.
In the past I have found that strange phantoms in electric systems can usually be traced to the ground. Tomorrow I will get under the dash and first thing I'll check is the ground from/to the flasher unit. I'm thinking that maybe the system is seeking ground through the dash light and that's why it quits flashing when the brake is applied.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Does your flasher have a seperate pigtail ground? That's critical to making the whole thing work with the LED's.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Lindstrom »

Turn signal switch seems may have gone haywire

John Weyand
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Weyand »

This modification can now be added to your 12 volt car. It seems that the electronic flasher was the problem. A check of the wiring diagram shows that the dash light is powered by a single wire from the flasher. Since that dash light being lit (and continuing to flash) was the only malfunction I assumed the fault was in the flasher unit. So I got a new one from the local NAPA store and now they work again properly. Since the new unit makes a much louder "click" with each blink my wife will be able to remind me to cancel the switch much sooner.
The senior citizen flasher unit could be yours...
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on solving the issue, John.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wes Bender »

The "ulltimate" geezer modification is to eliminate the turn signal system altogether. You know which way you're going to turn, why should you need it.

Speaking from experience in the retirement community of Green Valley AZ. Bumper sticker: "Helen Keller is alive and driving in Green Valley".
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Weyand
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Weyand »

One of my favorite parody songs was a Willie Nelson sound alike doing "Bluehairs Driving in My Lane".

Years ago we joked about our older neighbor driving his Dodge "Power Wagon" at 35 mph on the state highway into town. Now it's me in the 356! I do try to keep it over 40.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Lindstrom »

My old friend used to drive his power wagon at 35 mph and then suddenly slam on his brakes whenever anyone from out of town rode his bumper. When complaining to him that he was responsible for the damage to the front of their car, he would smile and tell them “didn’t you see that deer dart out in front of me? I had to slam on the brakes!”