Installing Turnswitch Blaupunkt Conversion

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Reich
356 Fan

Installing Turnswitch Blaupunkt Conversion

#1 Post by Mark Reich »

I am planning to have my Blaupunkt Frankfurt covered to modern internals by Turnswitch. Can someone who has done this explain how the radio is reconnected to the car, given that the radio wiring is changed and the stock connector is no longer used. I do not want to cut the connector from my original wiring harness.

Thanks.

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Installing Turnswitch Blaupunkt Conversion

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

I doubt that your original radio was stereo in 1961. So your old mono speaker connector won’t work with the redone radio, which probably has RCA-type stereo input and output jacks.
You’ll need to run a new set of right and left speaker wires from the newly rebuilt radio’s stereo outputs to your speakers.
Your car antenna connection remains the same.
I had Turnswitch install a 6 to 12 volt converter inside the radio cabinet. So I just connected the original 6V supply wire to the redone radio.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Mark Reich
356 Fan

Re: Installing Turnswitch Blaupunkt Conversion

#3 Post by Mark Reich »

Thanks, Dave. I think I am proving my ignorance (it has been a while since I looked at the radio installation in the car). I assumed that there was a special connector for the supply wire. I am aware that new wiring will be required for the speakers. I am putting my current radio away and will be converting a slightly newer Blaupunkt Y series for actual use.

Thanks for the reply to what may have been a stupid question.

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue