"C" Shift Linkage

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

"C" Shift Linkage

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

I am trying to follow Ron LaDow's article "356C Shift Linkage Refurbishment" ( https://porsche356registry.org/article/37 ). But I find myself unable to remove the shift rod as described in the article. I've read Ron's article over and over and have followed his steps, but clearly I'm doing something wrong. I removed the clamp on rear of the shift rod and the rod is laying on the pan. But when I try to pull the shift rod out (towards the front of the car) it gets hung up on the tunnel bracket which I cannot left over the tunnel opening. See attached pictures. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Carl
Attachments
Shift  - 2.jpg
Shift  - 1.jpg
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: "C" Shift Linkage

#2 Post by WilliamVaughan »

See the roll pin in the top photo? Drive it out with a punch. Make that steel wedding-ring-piece slide on the peace pipe. Slide the peace pipe forward into the bulge in the front of the center tunnel.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Plus -- if your floor pan has been pushed/jacked up at the rear, the rod will not have an enough of an angle to pull forward.
Attachments
Shift rod foward .jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Carl removing that roll pin as described is the answer but if you do not want to do that there is a work around for replacing the bushing in the collar that many of us have used with success. Cut the new bushing at a 45 degree angle. grease it and you can install it without removing the whole shift rod from the tunnel. There is a picture of how to cut the guide ring bushing is Mark's posting in this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41176&hilit=shift+linkage+bushing If you do remove the roll pin then heat the new guide ring bushing in a cup of water in the microwave and you can snap it in easily.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#5 Post by DonCichocki »

I've found the new replacement shift rod bushings to be a very loose fit around the shift rod. Seems silly when you are trying to eliminate the play. I ended up making my own out of urethane for a nice snug sliding fit.
+1 on removing the roll pin for easier removal.

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#6 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Brad: you were right, my tunnel had a dent in the pan right at the inflection point of pulling out the shift rod. It took some ingenuity, a crow bar and hand sledge, and I got the pan flat enough to pull out the shift rod.

Robert/Doug/Don: thanks for your insights. Removing the roll pin was easy. The shift rod bushing was installed by previous owner cutting at a 45 degree angle. But it is in sad shape, so I'm glad I'm doing this. And now I'm able to install it without cutting.

I'm sure to be back with more questions as I progress with this project. Next up, install the transaxle and engine.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553