Greenwich 356 Cab - honored with the Timeless Elegance Award

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Greenwich 356 Cab - honored with the Timeless Elegance Award

#1 Post by Victor Ingram »

I just got back from the 23rd Greenwich Concours D'elegance show, a "Festival of Speed and Style"!

They run a fantastic show that creates awareness and support for "americares" a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life changing medicine, medical supplies and health programs.

It was my first time to attend and participate in the show. Saturday is American cars and Sunday is European cars. Each year they feature a special marque. This year it was Briggs Cunningham and John Fitch, automotive greats who called Connecticut their home. Both personal and museum cars were displayed on the lawn. I was told by a fellow Porsche enthusiasts that BC built 28 cars for the public and 26 of them were in attendance. He also told me on Saturday they started them all up and it sounded like a thunder storm.

In order to bring a car you have to apply, they ask for a couple of pictures of the interior and the exterior, a brief description and any awards that you may have won. I was honored that they accepted the car to show.

Once there you are placed in the appropriate class and you get to mingle and talk with fellow enthusiasts about cars and motorcycles etc. The weather was perfect on Sunday, overcast and cool and NO RAIN. Around 9 am the judges start their due diligence and begin inspection. The judging was to be "French Style", meaning a "competition of elegance", and engine bays were not to be judged. Prescott Kelly was the lead judge for the Porsche contingency and he was a pleasure, he asked questions of interest, and educated us about details. I watched him judge the first car and he was methodical and asked detailed questions, "and" he asked the owner to open the engine bay. He may not be French I thought to myself....LOL.

There were about 8 cars in our circle, a beautifully restored 57 speedster by Gaswerks its first showing since total restoration. A 62 Carrera 2, yellow with a green interior, gorgeous car. A 65 SC, a rare Chartreuse 73RS, a European 74RS, 89 Red speedster, a 92 RSR and a 68 912 all of them could have rolled off the showroom floor.

Around 12 the support members come around and place blue ribbons on some of the cars, for our group it was the Speedster, the Carrera, and my 55 Cab. They asked participants with ribbons to line up for a parade around the tent where there is a gallery of spectators. They call each car up one by one and describe the car and present the award. Its a little awkward and exciting at the same time.

Long story short to our suprise the 55 Cabriolet garnered an award for "Timeless Elegance", I never really thought of our 356's as being elegant, but now that I think about it they are elegant. Congrats to all of the 356 owners and your elegant cars.
If you look at that trophy it does have a familiar shape.....hmmmmm!
Attachments
IMG_4905.jpg
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG

George Kehler
356 Fan

Re: Greenwich 356 Cab - honored with the Timeless Elegance A

#2 Post by George Kehler »

Congrats Victor !! Well deserved award for your “Timeless” Continental Cab !! And what a elegantly designed trophy. Your countless hours of achieving perfection have paid off !!
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

Well deserved .. congrats buddy , she is a beautiful one .

Regards Ned
55 Cab

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Congrats!
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#5 Post by Paul Lima »

Congratulations! Timeless elegance says it quite well!

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#6 Post by Jim Liberty »

Good for you Victor. I have always thought of this original shape as elegant. Not XK 120 so, but in its own way. ........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Greenwich concours d'elegance 2018 more 356 winners

#7 Post by Victor Ingram »

Greenwich posted more results that should be shared!!!

GERMAN GROUP:
AWARD - SPEED AND STYLE presented by Intercity Lines to Paul Schwabe for the 1957 Speedster
AWARD - BEST IN CLASS Thomas and Kristin Zarrella for their 63 Carrera
AWARD - BEST IN CLASS Bob Bolton 89 Speedster

SPEED, STYLE, ELEGANCE & BEST IN CLASS......NOT TO SHABBY!
Attachments
Unknown-1.jpeg