Fixed Something Today!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

Fixed Something Today!

#1 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

My never-ending saga of one 1958 356A coupe continues. I bought a new "flash to pass" button for the center position of the steering wheel/horn ring. After I tightened the steering wheel nut I installed the button and connected the battery. Lo and behold, when I pushed the button the relay clicked and the headlights flashed! Wow.

Two days later I went to show off my accomplishment to my son, and...wait for it...no flash. Rats! I could hear the relay click, but no lights, no matter how many times I pushed that really pretty button.

This morning I decided to remove the relay from under the dash, disassemble it, and look at it. After fiddling with this and that, I cleaned the points with lacquer thinner (an old trick I learned a long time ago that got countless 356s and early 911s fitted with ignition points running). Back under the dash, connect the four wires, connect the battery ground strap, and push the button. Bright, beautiful light lit up the back corner of my garage. Son-of-a-gun, I fixed something today!

Now, if it stays fixed...
Pete Z.
IMG_1288 (2).JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: Fixed Something Today!

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Sweet!

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

And, the laquer didnt blow up the relay :wink: :wink:
Phil Planck

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Phil Planck wrote:And, the laquer didnt blow up the relay :wink: :wink:
not yet :)
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Phil Planck wrote:And, the laquer didnt blow up the relay :wink: :wink:
LOL!!! I gave it a couple minutes to dry, took another couple minutes to re-connect the wires, then let it hang without its cover while I connected the battery ground strap. Not even a little spark! Pressed the flash to pass button, and voila! It worked, and it's still working today. And no sparks! Whew!

Next obstacle; I have to gather the courage to take the car for a real drive; not just another around the block deal. I hope when I do I'll see another Porsche so I can "flash" it!

Pete Z.