electrical

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Stone
356 Fan

electrical

#1 Post by Jim Stone »

Have a 356A on the 6 volt system. Car is driven weekly, but when I tried to start it last week, there was nothing. Starter wouldn't turn over; horn wouldn't honk. Battery is relatively new and trickle charger says it is full charged. Never had this problem before. Anyone have any ideas?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: electrical

#2 Post by David Jones »

Check the battery post connections especially the positive post and both cables that attach to it. The smaller diameter cable goes to the light switch and then to the ignition switch and if it is loose then nothing will work.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Schmid »

X2 what David wrote. My car died once on the way home like a kill button had been hit. Turns out the positive battery cable had worked itself just loose enough from the clamp.

Jim Stone
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Stone »

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and still get nothing. No lights, horn, ignition, nothing. Any other ideas?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

The power for the utilities including lights, ignition and horn is supplied by the smaller gauge cable that runs from the battery positive post to the fuse panel and there it is commoned off to the light switch and then to the ignition switch. I would suggest checking the fuse block connections 2,3,and 4 and then the back of the light switch where the red wires are connected and then the back of the ignition switch. It seems likely that one of these connections has failed. At the back of the light switch and the ignition switch there are three sockets for bullet connectors that are common. Check for power at any one of these sockets.
The attached PDF may help.
Attachments
Light circuit.pdf
(749.01 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715