Steering Coupler dim?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Steering Coupler dim?

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Just in the hopes someone has one sitting on the bench or the desk:
Need the 'length' ('height'?) of the C steering coupler, +/- say 10 thou (dial-caliper dims). Cliff was kind enough to send the early part dims and the bolt circle, but if one's within reach and you could post it (or reply to Pre Mat if you prefer), I'd appreciate it.
I'm trying to design commonality to both as much as possible and there are some alternative assembly 'rotations' that might do the trick.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: Steering Coupler dim?

#2 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Ron,
I only have a broken part.
Is this the dimension you are looking for?

33.2mm , 1.302 inch
Attachments
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Hugo,
Exactly! Really appreciate the response; now I can mix and match dims in the hopes of some magic.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Ron, the ability to slide the steering column tube in/out should mean that owners could adjust their tube to suit a slightly different thickness.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Clarke
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Ron,
Our 61 B T5 Coupe (115030) for some reason has had the later (356 C?) coupling fitted. It was the very high price being asked for this late style steering coupling that forced us to look for an alternative, when this item was found to be worn. Decided to adapt the Triumph TR4 Flexible Coupling. I believe it just needed the 4 holes opened up slightly to suit the bolts. Bolted straight in. Other Flexible couplings can be adapted as other members have stated (Volvo P1800 ?).
Do you have any price projection on your proposed coupling ? Would be interested in one if the price wasn't anywhere near the $240 currently being asked. Taking on board what you said, ref turning in a profit before You are planted, It is really good that you continue to develop much needed parts for our cars.
Regards Jay
Last edited by John Clarke on Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Cliff,
I know there's some 'slack' here, but I'd rather aim at the factory dims.
John,
Sure hoping for less than that, since I want to sell 'em, not warehouse 'em.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

Ron, It's a jungle out there! Let's see .....
-- the Volvo one that doesn't fit
-- the factory one that does fit and is concours correct http://www.stoddard.com/69534720101.html
-- factory one sold by Porsche dealers at various prices
-- the elusive one Ab Tiedemann makes
-- the Stoddard kit http://www.stoddard.com/64434700300-nla.html
-- the Zims kit http://www.allzim.com/store/steering-co ... 56c-1.html

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ron
no need for you and Ab to reinvent the wheel. Zims wins with the best solution. the Zims is basically an aftermarket 911 coupler with instructions. it is extremely important to follow the directions i have seen the coupler installed by supposed professionals using short bolts and then perplexed by the angular movement required to turn. you can pay slightly over $100 and get a real Porsche coupler but use the right bolts and sleeves.
j

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

Then there is also this one for direct feedback from the road.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... upler.html

and this one.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... 2rEALw_wcB
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#10 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Brad Ripley wrote:Ron, It's a jungle out there! Let's see .....

-- the elusive one Ab Tiedemann makes

e-lu-sive ; difficult to find. . . ?

just type steering coupler into search box in the 356 Talk Classifieds

Price seems to be in favor over technical merit, and since you cannot see it, and I cannot remember the cover beings removed for a concours judging, the comment regarding cosmetics by one poster was well taken. No credit for being elegant or even innovative in alternative component selection while retaining the dual safety feature.

The round flexible disc has woven fabric embedded as original. Shows well at Swaps but no sales because other offerings that compromise application principles like load path bound the interval of cost.

Also, take a good look at the terminations on the ground straps that are offered and you will find them not as original. But, nobody looks under the cover!

Although far easier to install--essentially a drop in-- a non wrench can do it, sales are not forthcoming. At $125/hr rates, I am sure that that the low price offered by others is quickly eaten up in assembly time.
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Tue May 29, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#11 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi Ron
no need for you and Ab to reinvent the wheel. Zims wins with the best solution. the Zims is basically an aftermarket 911 coupler with instructions. it is extremely important to follow the directions i have seen the coupler installed by supposed professionals using short bolts and then perplexed by the angular movement required to turn. you can pay slightly over $100 and get a real Porsche coupler but use the right bolts and sleeves.
j
I did not attempt to reinvent the wheel--merely to improve upon it. Zim's wins hands down on price, of course, but I cannot agree that this is the best solution. The original coupler offered by Zims with glued washers and a piece of heavy wiring harness wire for the ground strap indeed pales by comparison to the current offering. But, reading over those instructions for all the piece part moving around and having to worry about horn function and difficulty in turning and getting things back into alignment, one can easily see the difficultly experienced by the so called professionals as they attempted to put their spin on the installation.

Installation of any replacement coupler should be a simple drop-in into the the 33 mm design dimension between the yokes. No need to molest with the latter's position on the steering shaft and the input to the steering box. And since no one looks under the cover, you can reuse the ground strap with the correct terminations which interface with the yokes to prevent rotational displacement.

And where do you get the $242 coupler for a little over $100? Is there a little triangle on that $242 or $100 coupler? I am sure the purist would like to know.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ab
i was referring to the actual Porsche part for a 911/914 901.347.201.02 which lists for $116.47 Zims offers a similar part with all the extra parts to properly install it. you would think it is up to the task since it has been proven on many 911+914s and i have never seen a failure like the C part. it should preserve the same feel as the C part. What i had seen done by professionals was to bolt the end pieces to the yokes and use the rubber only as the connection it was scary.
j

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

Geeze, didn't know this was going to ignite 'The Steering Coupler Wars'! (joking)
I did not realize the number of alternatives available, but the price differences are understandable in the 356 market.
Currently, there are three designs under consideration for price and perceived value; all will stand on the simple claims of being fail-safe and the last coupler you will ever need. Assuming the metal parts don't atomically disassociate, the worst possible failure leaves you with ~1" radial slop and ~ .08" axial slop at the steering wheel; and that assumes total and concurrent failure of the redundant elastomeric elements, all of which are available off the shelf.
Oh, and they bolt in with no modifications required.
All three designs deliver on those claims, and assuming the pricing comes in at some reasonable level, I'm willing to compete for the Pre Mat portion of the market; all you buyers get one more alternative.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#14 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Ron LaDow wrote:

All three designs deliver on those claims, and assuming the pricing comes in at some reasonable level, I'm willing to compete for the Pre Mat portion of the market; all you buyers get one more alternative.
Ron:

I suspect that Zim's has the lion's share of the market based upon the lowest price as many of the Porsche owners fall prey to the Baskin Robbins motto/saying which hangs on the walls of the 31 flavors. I am certain that I have the least share due to price even though the technical merits embodied and aesthetics may be the highest of those offered. Quality, as we know, has no fear of time, but the latest creation from Zim's has not been fully tested in this arena. The initial advantage of first to market may not be as significant here, but low price is going to be the venue of competition, and like all value engineered projects it will/should include all costs [often overlooked by the purchaser]. Logistical costs may push the survivor over the top to claim victory. I/we know that you will deliver a product with technical merit and good quality. The law of large numbers does not lie. It may come down to who can make the most without eating inventory. I wish you good fortune in the endeavor. I call upon an expression uttered in a famous arena..."we who are about to die, salute you".
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ron + Ab
If properly installed the Zim solution is identical to what was used in the 911s and 914 into the 90s we are talking over 100000 installations compared to 20k C cars. i don't know any any failures and it is probably more stressed. this is a good example of a great product even if it doesn't look like the original. the low price is based on using a part that has not been marked up by Porsche and is made in great quantity. The reason i do not recommend it to the average DIY is that i have seen it not installed correctly. It is not idiot proof.
j