Clamping Plates on the transmission supports

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

Clamping Plates on the transmission supports

#1 Post by JERRY LANDES »

The A manual indicates using 3 clamping plates per side when installing the transmission supports in an A car. The B manual shows only two. Since I'm using the later metal rubber mount surrounds on my 59A should I only use 2 plates since the metal cup also spaces the transmission out about the same as the third plate would on an A transmission without the metal cup? Where would the third plate have been placed in any case? I couldn't find any pictures or discussion on the transmission supports in my A manual.

Eric Wills
356 Fan

Re: Clamping Plates on the transmission supports

#2 Post by Eric Wills »

2 plates each side. The cups substitute the plates used on early dual mount cars. Install one plate on each side of the trans mounts welded to the torsion bar tube.
Eric Wills

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#3 Post by JERRY LANDES »

I'm missing the one between the transmission mount and the body. Is there a way short of removing the engine to install one?

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#4 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Actually, I'm missing the one between the cup and the body. Does anyone have a technique for installing it?

Eric Wills
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric Wills »

If the car shifts properly and has the proper rear toe, I would leave it alone.

If you must install the plates, you can,

remove all of the round mount nuts and washers.

use something to lightly put pressure between the nose cone and chassis to force the engine trans assembly (lightly) towards the rear of the car. You don't need much movement here. Whatever you use should not be able to damage anything......we have used a small porto-power alligator jack with small blocks of wood.

Then remove the mounts one at a time, add the shim, put mounts back in place.

The nose cone should be centered in the tunnel opening, so you may have to move the trans up or down with a jack or under lift stand to center it.

Tighten all fasteners, once centered.

But, you may want to have the rear alignment checked before you mess with it. I have seen very original A cars that have only had the cups and 1 plate on the outside of the each ear. Keep in mind these changes will have an affect on your shifter and how it engages the gears fore and aft. I have had customers that have added spacers on their transmission mounts only to find out it pops of of gear while driving. Spacers removed, problem solved.
Eric Wills

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Eric; great advice.

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#7 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Thanks, Eric, That is just what I needed. What got me started was the fact that I was getting a vibration through the body at a certain vibration about 3,200rpm plus I was having trouble getting the car into first and second. I just ordered a new lockout plate that might help with the shifter but one mechanic said the vibration could be from the transmissions contact to the body. The car tracks and drives great. At this point, I am just going by the manual and now you to find a solution. Now I suppose someone is going to jump in here about the vibration and the motor, flywheel, or the clutch. In that case, I'm starting to get good at avoiding 3,200rpms since the motor runs well.

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#8 Post by JERRY LANDES »

We also ran the motor alone with no indication of any vibration.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#9 Post by Michael Foster »

I believe T-1's did not have cups, only rubber donuts and clamps. Using cups on car that came without them may lead to difficulty adjusting shift linkage.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER