Oil level

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: Oil level

#16 Post by Jon Schmid »

Thanks, Mike. It sounds like the "C" manual instructions are the ones to follow.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

They are identical, Jon. Glad to be of help. See you at the San Clemente Concours?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dick Weiss »

It may take more than 5-seconds for the dipstick tube to allow oil to rise--being a 1/2 ID tube; I read the level after a fuel tank fill @ the station and the level should be the "running level" between the lines. Of course, checking the level when cold, it'll be
above the top line. Full oil change (including the sump and oil filter removal) takes 4-liters (4.23 qts.--4-1/2 qts. is no problem).

You'll see the cold oil level on the stick will show above the top line; After a run/drive, it'll show lower after a shutdown/above.

Dick

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the additional info, Dick.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#20 Post by Mike Ruddy »

David Jones wrote:Mike do not confuse a dry sump engine like the 911 with a wet sump engine, totally different requirement.
Thanks David, I have full flow oil system and was interested to know how the extra filter full of oil would affect the oil level over time after the engine was switched off.

The advice on here was to check the oil with the engine running.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

On the race cars we check the oil running and do not fill it all the way to the top line. About 2/3 to 3/4 full between the lines is the norm. If the oil level is too high the crankshaft beats the oil which robs power and aerates the oil which reduces lubrication.

With zero scientific support I get the impression that street cars tend to use more oil when they are filled to the top vs being just a bit lower.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Clarke
356 Fan

#22 Post by John Clarke »

Hi David, As per your recommendation from John Muir's book. ref oil level.
I still have my well oiled copy of ' How to keep your Volkswagen alive' right back from the Sixties! Still an excellent read.
Think he was the Harry Pellow of his time.
Jay

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#23 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Also, make sure that you have a new rubber washer inside your dipstick or at least the old one. It may register higher without it.

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#24 Post by Chuck Allard »

There is also some drain down of oil from the oil filter canister after the engine is turned off. When running, the canister is full. After shutdown, oil drains out through the hole about an inch down on the inside tube and back to the crankcase.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dick Weiss »

The crank is below the tappet shelf and won'[t interfere w/the oil in the sump if above the upper mark on the stick; However, racers will add a 'shelf' to restrict oil being 'slung around' @ hi RPMs.
Also, the little hole in the oil filter's exit tube won't really allow a 'drain-down of the oil due to it's size.
Same thing w/the oil cooler
w/its limited 'drain-down' depending on and camshaft bearing clearances.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#26 Post by Wes Bender »

Dick, I think you meant to day that the crank is ABOVE the tappet shelf. You're correct that there shouldn't be any way that the crank would contact the oil in the sump (unless it was 'way overfilled).
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#27 Post by C J Murray »

Does the oil sit level in the sump while the car is being driven around corners the way a 356 is supposed to be driven? No.

This is why "real" engines have a dry sump. Oil likes to jump around and a lot of power can be had from some engines by using crank scrapers and windage treys. Oil has a tendency to wrap itself around a spinning crankshaft and that kills power and causes heat as well as hurting lubrication..
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#28 Post by Ron LaDow »

C J Murray wrote:Does the oil sit level in the sump while the car is being driven around corners the way a 356 is supposed to be driven? No.
This is why "real" engines have a dry sump. Oil likes to jump around and a lot of power can be had from some engines by using crank scrapers and windage treys. Oil has a tendency to wrap itself around a spinning crankshaft and that kills power and causes heat as well as hurting lubrication..
One of the dyno mfgrs used to host an annual get together. One year, someone brought a video taken through a window in the pan of a wet sump small-block at 7KRPM or so.
It was hard to believe the oil pressure stayed constant; it didn't look like any oil was hanging around the pump pickup.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dick Weiss »

OOPS Wes;

Thanks for correcting me--I woke up too early in the morning to clear all the messages while my eyes were "draining".
(Where's my eye drops?)

Dick

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jon Schmid »

Thanks again to the group for your insights. This has been very helpful to me.