Calling California Owners

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Calling California Owners

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

I am looking to register my 356 with the California DMV for the first time in a couple of decades- it has been in non-operational status. Aren't the fees based on market value, not cost basis or something else? If so, is finagling on the value a common approach here? Any risks to that?

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: Calling California Owners

#2 Post by Jim Nelson »

The amount you have to pay is usually on your registration renewal--is this a first time, or was it non-op as a CA car ?

M Penta
356 Fan

#3 Post by M Penta »

I don't know about CA, but in VT it changed several years ago so that tax is on NADA, as opposed to some hand written BOS which is all it used to take. You can have an appraisal, which may come in lower but not the easiest process here. the tax is paid one time at first registration here in VT (and most states I believe).

I have heard of several examples where an ins claim was made, and the ins co would ask "so you claimed you paid $800 when you reg'd it but now say it is worth 50K?" ..something to that effect - one instance was with a guy that had a 69 Camaro stolen soon after he bought it. He ended up having to either pay the appropriate tax, or take the value he claimed when reg'n it. Hard to beat the system with this, but you could play dumb and send in the tax amount with original BOS and see what happens, especially if the BOS predated any change in policy. Or you can move to MT ;) I never knew why so many high end cars, tow vehicles, etc I saw at various events and races were from MT until I learned about the LLC thing when reg'n my car.

I know how tough it is to swallow those tax bills at reg time..

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

Edwin, for all of those years when your car was non operational did you register it as such with the state of California (there is a yearly fee to do that)? If so, then all you need to do is go to the DMV and register your car as operational. The annual fee to register your car is based on what you originally paid for it. If you have owned the car for a couple of decades the fee should be minimal.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Nelson »

No yearly fee in CA for non-op. But the amount is, as Peter said, based on the last registration, and it goes up a tiny amount every year.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Silten »

There is a fee to file PNO. I don't know if it is a one tie fee or an annual fee.

From the CA DMV website (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... rir/faqpno):

Planned Non Operation PNO

What if I don't plan to drive my vehicle? Do I have to pay my renewal?

If you plan to store and not operate your vehicle during the next renewal year, you may apply for the Planned Non-Operation (PNO) option online. There is a filing fee for the PNO.

The PNO filing fee may be paid up to 60 days prior to the expiration date without late fees. If you file up to 90 days after the expiration date, you will be liable for late fees on the full registration amount.

If at any time the vehicle is operated or parked where it may be subject to citation, then full registration fees and penalties for that year become due.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#7 Post by Edwin Ek »

I registered and used the car in California in the late '80s and early '90s. It has been in non-operational status with the DMV in California since. For some years there was a small annual fee to keep it in non-operational status, but for the last many years the annual mailing from the DMV has said to do nothing (if still non-operational) and has not asked for any fee.

So, as Peter and Jim say, it seems I won't be paying fees based on the current market value. That is some bucks in my favor.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#8 Post by VinceFinaldi »

You should be good then. Just register and go. Or register it with historical plates if you are really worried about the yearly fee. Then it will only cost about 30 bucks a year.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Kittel »

I had my car non op in California for too many years. The cost was minimal and a one time fee. However when I went to take the car out of non op the car was nowhere to be found, existence in DMV that is. Then going through all the DMV BS to get it registered once again was maddening. They kept trying to take my original plates and finally agreed that I could have the plates but they took my original owners cert and gave me a new one, why I do not know. I had to have the VIN verified which was easy. On registering the car last year they wanted a value, I probably could have put anything, they didn't know. I placed a value that was high enough that they wouldn't question it and low enough that my fees were somewhat affordable. My mistake was going to the DMV when after the fact I learned that there are private DMV agents who can do this and will work with you to make it happen.
Bob Kittel

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jon Schmid »

When it comes to registering a car in CA, go to AAA. If you're not a member, join, if for nothing else the roadside service. They have always been able to help me with registration issues. I only go to the DMV for driver license renewals.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#11 Post by Edwin Ek »

Calling AAA was my first move-- I am a happy, long-term customer. I learned from the agent that a complication in this situation results in the need to deal with the DMV itself.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Schmid »

Edwin Ek wrote:Calling AAA was my first move-- I am a happy, long-term customer. I learned from the agent that a complication in this situation results in the need to deal with the DMV itself.
Two words for you, Edwin. "Oh, Gawd..." :(