Sebring Style Exhausts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Lima
356 Fan

Sebring Style Exhausts

#1 Post by Paul Lima »

I have always admired the sound and looks of a well-made Sebring style exhaust on a (pushrod) 356. I recently saw a very well made one and did a search to find James Constas makes some very beautiful Sebring style exhausts. I'm building an 1883 cc engine and I'd love to put one of these beautiful exhausts on it, but I'd really like to know that it performs as well as it looks. Does anybody have any dyno info or other objective comparisons to stock muffler and/or Bursch? TIA!

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Sebring Style Exhausts

#2 Post by C J Murray »

There was a recent thread on this subject. I think it was thumbs down.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#3 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Here's a good article that compares mufflers for performance. Doesn't include a Sebring but does include Bursch, Stock, Sport, and Bursch with Stinger. Might be worth a read:

https://porsche356registry.org/article/59

Seems like the muffler selection is more about exhaust note than performance based on my studying of the threads and article above!

-Sean

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#5 Post by Paul Lima »

Thank you all for the references, but I've read them and there is nothing objective about performance available. I'm less interested in looks and sound, and more interested in seeing data that show better torque v. RPM than other alternatives, particularly stock and Bursch. That is the curse of being an engineer; data and facts win.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Paul This is old but interesting: https://porsche356registry.org/article/59 I suggest you contact John Willhoit.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#7 Post by C J Murray »

Paul, when you find the data I bet that if the Sebring makes more power than a stock muffler that it is in a narrow range and that the average power in the rpm range where you drive is lower than the stock muffler.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#8 Post by Paul Lima »

I'm hoping my friend will loan me his Sebring when I finish my engine. I have another friend who will loan me a stock exhaust and I have a Bursch "street" version. With luck I can get dyno data on all three on the same engine on the same day. You are likely right, though, since all the real data seems to indicate Porsche did it right.

Jim Johnston
Registry Trustee

#9 Post by Jim Johnston »

Keep us posted on your planned comparison test. I had a Constas Sebring style unit on my Speedster and loved it, though without knowing how it compared to the Bursch that used to be on it. I’d love the same Constas exhaust on my 59 Coupe with its newly rebuilt warmed up engine, but that depends on the price in power (compared to the Bursch I’m used to) and how well adjusting the mixture could help. And if the difference is too small to tell through the seat of my pants, who cares?
[b][/b]
Jim Johnston
Registry # 1308
'59 Coupe
'72 911E Coupe