Sorting and adjusting engine lid hinges

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

Sorting and adjusting engine lid hinges

#1 Post by Harold Singh »

Folks,

I purchased a couple of eBay hinges that have not worked out. The first was listed as right side and they sent a left. The next one was worn out, had the same problem and missing the spring washers so everything was rattling.

The primary issue I’m trying to solve is the right side (passenger) hinge needs to be pushed upward about .5” more to disengage it and lower the engine lid. It’s been like this since I got the car and it’s always bugged me. Now I’m determined to fix it. Where can I add material to make this adjustment?
I see reference to page 27&28 of the tech resto guide to adding material to the star and filing again. Should I add to the pawl at all?

Also, I saw mention of not mixing early and late hinges. How do I tell? I think the pawl looks different on my eBay hinge.

Thanks,
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Sorting and adjusting engine lid hinges

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I have not had to mess with my hinges but I am sure the parts on both sides need to be quite similar. Maybe get both stars out and file or weld until they are the same?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harold Singh »

Martin Benade wrote:I have not had to mess with my hinges but I am sure the parts on both sides need to be quite similar. Maybe get both stars out and file or weld until they are the same?
Sounds logical. Are they easy to pull apart? I haven’t seen any instructions on separating them.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Harold,
Before welding/filing, probably a good idea to make sure the body-ends of both of them are aligned. It's possible that someone fiddled with that mounting some time in the past, and it may just take getting those to match.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harold Singh »

Good point.

Can someone confirm early and late hinges are different? The second one I got had a different shaped pawl and was missing the spring washers.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

ScottBerry
356 Fan

#6 Post by ScottBerry »

Harold, did you consider a rebuild kit for one of the worn hinges? Stoddard has this kit NLA-511-031-00 Front Hood or Engine Lid Hinge Repair Kit. I have not used it so cannot comment on effectiveness but seems sensible.
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete

Steve Kram
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Kram »

The early and late hinges have different thickness size stars and washers. You need to be sure you have the same size on each.
Stoddards or Sierra used to sell both size repair kits.

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harold Singh »

Ron LaDow wrote:Harold,
Before welding/filing, probably a good idea to make sure the body-ends of both of them are aligned. It's possible that someone fiddled with that mounting some time in the past, and it may just take getting those to match.
Ron,

I’m having trouble visualizing the adjustment on that side. Do you mean actually moving the body with a mallet and block of wood or something? I don’t see much room to adjust the mounting on the hinge itself.

Thanks,
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White