James Dean's 1954 Speedster Found?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: James Dean's 1954 Speedster Found?

#16 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Ron LaDow wrote:I have to admit to some curiosity regarding the importance of a car once owned by an actor famous for pouting and little else. Other than dying in a road accident, that is.
I saw "Rebel Without a Cause" and wondered why it was filmed; the concession stand was mobbed.
I understand where you are coming from. I sometimes wonder about the whole McQueen worship. In JD's defense he seems like a proper Porsche fan that would of probably used some of your products on his racing car!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

Jay Wiener wrote:
bil brown wrote:If ever found, no matter what condition.........it would be the most expensive of ALL Speedsters!

I might have to go with McQueens BLACK speedster with KNOCKOFFS. Either way, I'd say 7 figures for either
It doesn't get much cooler, right?
Attachments
stevemcqueenspeedster.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Ron LaDow wrote:I have to admit to some curiosity regarding the importance of a car once owned by an actor famous for pouting and little else. Other than dying in a road accident, that is.
I saw "Rebel Without a Cause" and wondered why it was filmed; the concession stand was mobbed.
Ron-
There's a little more to it than that, he died in a road accident on the way to a race, in a Porsche 550. No one drove a 550 to a race unless they were passionate about the Marque.
He could have picked any car, but he picked Porsche. So their fates are forever intertwined.
I agree that celebrity provenance can be silly at times, like the time a guy was trying to sell Johnny Carson's Jag sedan from the 80s, nothing really special there. But a pre-A Speedster is cool enough in it's own right, but a Pre-A Speedster owned by an actor that died in his pursuit of glory in a Porsche, that's special. Much like Steve McQueen, these guys could have been useless actor's that sat by the pool, but they spent their Saturday's the same way you and I do, enjoying Porsches. That's a kin-ship, pure and simple.
Attachments
jamesdean550.jpg
jamesdean550.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 999 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Proctor »

It could be worse. How 'bout these celebrity-owned gems from Barrett Jackson last year. Made especially for Sony and Cher by George Barris. They were sold complete with the tasteful plastic furnace grills pop-riveted to the hoods and Kustom interiors...and yes, they DID sell
Attachments
desktop.JPG
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Lindstrom »

James Dean was a bad ass.