New Euro heat exchangers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Grist
356 Fan

New Euro heat exchangers

#1 Post by Dennis Grist »

I just received my new European heater boxes to replace the old rusted units. They came in what appears to be a flat gray primer finish. I would like to paint a finished coat of high-temp paint before installation but I am not sure if they should be painted gray or black. Do any of you know what the factory color and gloss would have been? The units on the car now are black with a satin gloss, but doubt if that would be the original paint after all these years. Thank you in advance for your help.
Dennis
Dennis Grist
1964 SC Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: New Euro heat exchangers

#2 Post by Jim Nelson »

Think VHT flat silver is close to the original finish....not the same, but pretty close...

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Kalinski »

These are several years old now, but when new, were more of a gloss finish in gray:
Attachments
E7558715-98F6-4FE8-AB57-03DD0FF40028.jpeg

Dennis Grist
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis Grist »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad I asked the question because I never would have thought of silver or a gloss gray.
Jim, what is VHT? A brand name?
Dan: I had assumed the color would have been the muffler gray. Quite a difference on your exchangers. Thanks for the photo, as it shows the difference quite clearly. Nice looking motor.
Thank you,
Dennis
Dennis Grist
1964 SC Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Nelson »

VHT is a brand of high-heat paint (http://www.vhtpaint.com) used for various engine applications. There was a thread some time ago about the correct finish for these, and I'm pretty sure Brad Ripley provided the ultimate correct answer; my memory doesn't serve me well here, but it may have been zinc plated, certainly darker than Cad, but not a lot. Kind of a bare steel finish. Having said that, I bought a NOS replacement, one side only, that was entirely flat black, even the fasteners had been sprayed, so getting a handle on this isn't easy. I think Dan's exchangers are as representative as any.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Paint 'em exhaust grey -- they were never black.