Make Your 356 Pretty

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Make Your 356 Pretty

#1 Post by Richard Shilling »

While I'm sure to a lot of listers the following will be "old new" but maybe there are some that were in my boat this morning. I had a very good paint job done several years ago by Rillos Restoration. I washed the car and waxed it but never paid a whole lot of attention to detailing it. I recently read an article about using clay to prep for waxing. My wife Barbara, recently bought a 2018 Jaguar E-Pace and I offered to polish it using the clay. She thought it would be a good idea for me to do my Dolphin Grey 356 first, so that's what I did this morning.

As Griot's Garage has been good to our club the 356 Group Northwest, I used their products: 11153 Paint Cleaning Clay, Speed Shine, Premium Carnuba wax, 11263 Red Waxing Pad, and 55525 Dual Weave Wax Removal Towels. Never having used the clay to prep for waxing I watched the tutorials about how to use the clay and how to wax on Griot's website and learned a lot. Even if you do a good job of washing the car there are microscopic pieces of contamination that you remove by first spraying on a lubricant (Speed Shine) and rubbing with the clay. Then you wipe off the Spray 'n Shine, wax and buff. I used the towels to buff the wax and it was easy, letting the wax dry 15 minutes is a must. The car was washed yesterday and I started at 11:00 AM and was finished at 2:00 PM with a lunch break in the middle. The car looks amazing. The picture is not great, the color, Dolphin Grey, is off because of the fluorescent lights in the garage, but you can see how smooth and shiny the paint is. I'm glad I was curious enough to try the clay, I'm very impressed with the results.

PS: For the curious, the little glider in the foreground is a Discus Launch Glider the Go Mini. Carbon Fiber construction, 5.1 oz ready to fly with a battery, radio receiver and 4 servos installed. You launch the model by holding a peg in the wing tip and spinning around and launching.
Attachments
356 Clay_Fotor.jpg
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: Make Your 356 Pretty

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Some of us prefer a little patina.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Make Your 356 Pretty

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Very nice Richard, looks great! That paint cleaning clay is pretty amazing stuff.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe