62 Notchback that sold on BAT for $89,000

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Re: 62 Notchback that sold on BAT for $89,000

#16 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Adam cleaned that little yellow one up a lot. Earned every cent.
Attachments
65518F27-335B-43C8-AFCB-329A0092AE77.jpeg
Rusty

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

I guess I am odd man out on the notch. I love it. I have owned many Porsches, from a 66 three gauge, to a 991 GT3 RS. When I set out to buy my first 356, I traveled to southern California and went to many high end dealers/shops, and met with individuals. Saw a lot of cars. Came close on buying an A, but I really liked the rarity and unique attributes of the notchback. It wasn't a budget issue. In fact when restoration is complete, and all receipts done, I probably could have bought a very nice A. I realize rarity in these may not have been by design by Porsche. But original unmolested ones are indeed rare. There are plenty of "ugly duckling" Porsches in the history of the company that over time have become valuable. Mine is a S90 numbers matching in Royal Blue, about 80% through restoration.

I guess something is worth what someone will pay for it. Some markets are wide and broad, some are niche. I actually prefer the 1961 T5 look on this car. The slightly lower rake on the original (before 62 dedicated design) cab + top/windshield welded on, the clean look of single grill, etc.

I don't ever plan to sell, this is more like a lifetime build, give it to one of my sons. But I will be far deep into 6 figures on the car after nut/bolt full restoration. So just offering this as another data point.

Lynn, if it helps you I am happy to share information on my insurance policy value, the appraisal that led to it, etc. Just please private message me.
Last edited by Jonathan Trichel on Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Good on you Jonathan. Never wrong to do what you want. When I started the retirement project restoration of my C I assumed I would be upside down when finished but I was fulfilling a life long dream so didn't care. I just got lucky and prices spiked.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Scallon »

I love the notch shape as well. I think they look amazing a tad bit lowered. That's my personal taste. Jonathan, good luck with your project.

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Greg Scallon wrote:I love the notch shape as well. I think they look amazing a tad bit lowered. That's my personal taste. Jonathan, good luck with your project.

-Greg
Yes! A little lowering is definitely in the cards. Like a little thug. haha. Also a few fun reversible modifications, like these wheels :P
Attachments
IMG_7120.jpg
IMG_6920.jpg

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#21 Post by Greg Scallon »

And those disc brakes behind them. Nice. :-).
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#22 Post by steverestelli »

Adam, why not list your 1962 notch on BAT ? The market is hot for them right now as the last restoration project sold for 89 grand.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#23 Post by Adam Wright »

steverestelli wrote:Adam, why not list your 1962 notch on BAT ? The market is hot for them right now as the last restoration project sold for 89 grand.
I refuse to post a car on BAT. The peanut gallery needs to be dealt with before I list a car there. It is painfully obvious that BAT is not welcoming to dealer's selling cars, just individuals. Though they get rough treatment too. It's painful to watch someone bid on a car and get clowned by guys who have no interest in the car, they just want to be trolls.

The 62 Notch will probably make an appearance late this summer, I have a bunch of cars ahead of it. As they said in Top Gun,
"Ghostrider, the pattern is full."
At Unobtanium, the yard runneth over, I might live long enough to sell all this stuff.

I think BAT has some growing up to do as a platform, great idea, good following, just some growing pains.
Attachments
7sm.jpg
13sm.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Wayne Carlson
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Wayne Carlson »

I sold a gutted T5 Notch for $30k without the motor just last month and felt like I robbed the bank.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#25 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Adam,

I'll bet Vic's opinion of Bat differs from yours!

Yeah, Bat is a tough town, however when someone is in "full swoon" over the gearshift knob I almost feel honor bound to point out that my Grandson's Erector Set has more good metal than the floor of car they are bidding on!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

Tim Berardelli wrote:Adam,

I'll bet Vic's opinion of Bat differs from yours!

Yeah, Bat is a tough town, however when someone is in "full swoon" over the gearshift knob I almost feel honor bound to point out that my Grandson's Erector Set has more good metal than the floor of car they are bidding on!
BAT works for guy's like Vic who might sell one or two cars a year, but not for guy's like me who sell 1-2 cars a week. Like I said, it's a great platform with solid marketing, and a good vibe, except for the peanut gallery that takes away from the seriousness of it and erodes the image of BAT as a real player in the auction game. I hope they figure that part of it out, then the sky is the limit.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#27 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote:
steverestelli wrote:Adam, why not list your 1962 notch on BAT ? The market is hot for them right now as the last restoration project sold for 89 grand.
I refuse to post a car on BAT. The peanut gallery needs to be dealt with before I list a car there. It is painfully obvious that BAT is not welcoming to dealer's selling cars, just individuals. Though they get rough treatment too. It's painful to watch someone bid on a car and get clowned by guys who have no interest in the car, they just want to be trolls.

The 62 Notch will probably make an appearance late this summer, I have a bunch of cars ahead of it. As they said in Top Gun,
At Unobtanium, the yard runneth over, I might live long enough to sell all this stuff.

I think BAT has some growing up to do as a platform, great idea, good following, just some growing pains.
Disagree. Denwerks and Avant-Garde Collection are two dealers who seem to have cracked the code. Good photos, descriptions, active engagement, interesting cars to present. I haven't seen them sell "projects" like yours but the cars have varied in quality from really nice to drivers.

You're sitting on cars that provide access for many people that would be otherwise impossible. You might give it a shot. $99 is all it takes, other than the effort to provide good documentation, photos and be engaged in the auction.

I'm a member of that peanut gallery, at least on cars that I actually know something about. The dialog can sometimes go astray or get nitpicky but most of the time I think it helps the buyer be more informed. Caveat emptor, sure. But the peanut gallery can help weed out the sellers who rely on uninformed buyers.

I'm going to try selling my '84 Carrera on there next month and see how it goes.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:

Disagree. Denwerks and Avant-Garde Collection are two dealers who seem to have cracked the code. Good photos, descriptions, active engagement, interesting cars to present. I haven't seen them sell "projects" like yours but the cars have varied in quality from really nice to drivers.

You're sitting on cars that provide access for many people that would be otherwise impossible. You might give it a shot. $99 is all it takes, other than the effort to provide good documentation, photos and be engaged in the auction.

I'm a member of that peanut gallery, at least on cars that I actually know something about. The dialog can sometimes go astray or get nitpicky but most of the time I think it helps the buyer be more informed. Caveat emptor, sure. But the peanut gallery can help weed out the sellers who rely on uninformed buyers.

I'm going to try selling my '84 Carrera on there next month and see how it goes.
Sean, rarely have I been accused of sitting on cars, my inventory moves fairly quickly. Like I said, the chatter on BAT may produce some good info for uninformed buyers, which is a good thing, but projects tend to get shredded for the shear pleasure of laughing at the seller and the potential buyers. I think good solid drivers and nice cars do well on BAT, the projects may bring some ok end results on some of the auctions but I've watched many projects sell for well below market and when you see people getting clowned for bidding, I can guarantee you that had an affect on overall bidding. I hope BAT can get past this growing pain.
And like I said, my inventory flows pretty freely. In fact I was talking to a guy last week that I did a 50 car deal with 2-3 years ago, he asked how many of his cars I had left. I sold him 6, he was very surprised, and after next week it will be down to 5.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#29 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote:Sean, rarely have I been accused of sitting on cars, my inventory moves fairly quickly.
Not what I meant - I mean that you have an inventory of vehicles, or at least a pipeline/network to cars that could provide an entry point to an enthusiast group that lives on BAT but often can't make a $90K+ 356 purchase happen.

But since you brought it up - if you're not sitting on cars, may I direct you to your post, just above that shows a full yard...that seems to suggest otherwise.
Adam Wright wrote: I've watched many projects sell for well below market and when you see people getting clowned for bidding, I can guarantee you that had an affect on overall bidding
Care to share some you felt went below market? Those old auctions are still accessible on BAT's archives. I don't recall many for selling for too little, but a lot of major projects selling for way more money than market. If you're that concerned, set a reserve price you can live with. If it doesn't sell, you're out $99 but gained exposure and a potential post-auction sale.

It's your preference, so I only offer a counter point to others thinking of selling on BAT.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:Sean, rarely have I been accused of sitting on cars, my inventory moves fairly quickly.
Not what I meant - I mean that you have an inventory of vehicles, or at least a pipeline/network to cars that could provide an entry point to an enthusiast group that lives on BAT but often can't make a $90K+ 356 purchase happen.

But since you brought it up - if you're not sitting on cars, may I direct you to your post, just above that shows a full yard...that seems to suggest otherwise.
Adam Wright wrote: I've watched many projects sell for well below market and when you see people getting clowned for bidding, I can guarantee you that had an affect on overall bidding
Care to share some you felt went below market? Those old auctions are still accessible on BAT's archives. I don't recall many for selling for too little, but a lot of major projects selling for way more money than market. If you're that concerned, set a reserve price you can live with. If it doesn't sell, you're out $99 but gained exposure and a potential post-auction sale.

It's your preference, so I only offer a counter point to others thinking of selling on BAT.
My yard tends to stay full, but only because cars are always arriving but they are also always leaving.

I'll dig through the BAT archives and see if I can come up with some examples, there was a running 69E that comes to mind about 6 weeks ago, sold for $20,000. I normally get $20,000-30,000 for non-running 911 projects.

Also, BAT is very hardcore about reserves, they don't want them and pressure people who insist on putting very low reserves. I think this was the case with the 911E I was talking about, the seller was pressured hard to go no reserve, the car stalled around $20,000 and he was very pissed.
Another example, I bought a 356 a couple of years ago from a guy who works for BAT, he said he wanted to sell the car to me because BAT said he had to go no reserve. I don't think BAT is as simple and light hearted as you are making it out to be.
Attachments
fjordBbarn.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com