62 Notchback that sold on BAT for $89,000

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 62 Notchback that sold on BAT for $89,000

#31 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I know I scratch my head at some of the prices you get on eBay Adam. But I do the same on some BAT cars.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#32 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I know I scratch my head at some of the prices you get on eBay Adam. But I do the same on some BAT cars.
Doug,
I've heard that before, the "How do you do it?"

It's like Jim says, "buy the seller"

The $68,000 A Coupe I referenced, the buyer from that called some Porsche friends before he bid and he confided to me that based on what they had to say about me he was going to bid all the way, and he did.

Sean,
Here are some shots of what has left here in the last few weeks. There are more, this is just the ones I had pics of on my phone.
Unfortunately for my small half acre of land, more trucks than that have arrived with cars.
Attachments
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG (43.57 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG (42.54 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG (44.9 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG (24.93 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (42.6 KiB) Viewed 478 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#33 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Well I haven't done direct business with them, but I have heard similar stories to what you stated above. Ironic considering it started out as purely a blog posting up interesting PROJECT cars for sale elsewhere, eh!?
Adam Wright wrote:I don't think BAT is as simple and light hearted as you are making it out to be.
In a few weeks I hope to go through the process, at least as much of it as I feel comfortable, and can then speak from a position of experience. I did not mean to suggest it was all sunshine, rainbows, and good time rock and roll. Any sale of value should involve diligence and a healthy dose of caution. But I also don't think it's always as bad as you suggested.

Nice haul, btw. Some interesting projects there.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:Well I haven't done direct business with them, but I have heard similar stories to what you stated above. Ironic considering it started out as purely a blog posting up interesting PROJECT cars for sale elsewhere, eh!?
Adam Wright wrote:I don't think BAT is as simple and light hearted as you are making it out to be.
In a few weeks I hope to go through the process, at least as much of it as I feel comfortable, and can then speak from a position of experience. I did not mean to suggest it was all sunshine, rainbows, and good time rock and roll. Any sale of value should involve diligence and a healthy dose of caution. But I also don't think it's always as bad as you suggested.

Nice haul, btw. Some interesting projects there.
I agree. Keep us posted on what it's like to sell on BAT, all I hear are the horror stories, but I'm sure there are plenty of successes. From watching it pretty closely I think the best cars to sell on BAT are very well documented cars owned by individuals. I think this is why a car like Vic's sold for such good money, great provenance and a well known individual seller. But many cars I get have no history and the BAT peanut gallery tends to go all out if they think you are a dealer, AKA a flipper. It is a great platform for the aforementioned cars but dealers with non-driving projects tend to go through the grinder.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#35 Post by Vic Skirmants »

BaT never insisted I try to list the 64 at no reserve. They did send me one email shortly before the auction ended to encourage me to lift the reserve at $7K short. I ignored it. The car sold for $24K above reserve. Hope the one earlier potential buyer saw that; he turned it down at $100K. and then got snippy about getting his deposit back; which he got after we sold the car; after I had told three other people the car was no longer available. But thanks to him, Barbara looked into BaT and we are very happy with the result. Adam makes good points for him not using them, and we, as only occasional sellers, are very pleased.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#36 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Vic Skirmants wrote:... Barbara looked into BaT and we are very happy with the result.
I hope to have good results with BaT as my ruby red coupe will be posted there soon. After some back-and-forth, BaT and I have come to an agreement on a reasonable reserve, of course lower than my original request. Please Stand By...
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#37 Post by Jim Nelson »

We spoke to BAT, and there was a (very) large disparity between what we thought our car was worth, and what they thought it was worth. Ended up stepping away from them, and the car sold the first weekend it was up for sale at what we thought it was worth.