blaupunkt radios

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

Re: blaupunkt radios

#16 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Has anyone tried the rebuilt Frankfurt from Auto Atlanta? My stock radio is the bottom of the line, AM only, 1 channel, Blaupunkt, that hasn't worked for years. I like to listen to the local sportsball teams when out for a Sunday drive, so I need AM and FM. And some volume in the top down cab. Any first hand experiences? J

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hey Jay, I think you would be better off looking for a later model AM-FM Blauplunkt, like the ones that came in 914s, some late 60's Volvos, Saabs and VWs, especially type 3. The last one i found was actually a 6-12 volt in a 65 square back. They are full transistor, look similar and the original faces fit, but be sure that the radio has the rounded corners on where the trim bezel fits, many have a square and won't fit the opening in the dash. The later ones are stereo, with a blue dot on the face, much better reception and sound, and smaller in size too easy and light to mount. If you need a 12 volt converter I'll send you one. Try places like the High Performance House in Redwood City for 914 parts, there's an Air Cooled VW wrecking yard in Oakland. Or the Samba, guessing $20-150 would be the range expected.
Attachments
blue dot.jpg

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#18 Post by John Lindstrom »

Sound advice!

I couldn’t resist..

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Douglas »

There is a couple of guys who do radios in NorCal, one is Classic Radio in Woodacre, (San Rafael) and the other only does American radios. California Historical Radio Society, may have some people who can fix radios. I went to German Auto Radio in North Hollywood, dropped my Q series Blaupunkt Frankfurt off while at the LA Lit show and picked it up two weeks later, but it was expensive, works very well, but still lacks the tonal quality of the full transistor radios of the late 60-70s.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Thanks for the tip, Steve. An interesting and affordable option. I prefer function to authenticity. I’ll call those guys tomorrow. Maybe see you in Monterey next weekend? J

TomDoherty
356 Fan

#21 Post by TomDoherty »

Jay Broemmel wrote:Has anyone tried the rebuilt Frankfurt from Auto Atlanta? My stock radio is the bottom of the line, AM only, 1 channel, Blaupunkt, that hasn't worked for years. I like to listen to the local sportsball teams when out for a Sunday drive, so I need AM and FM. And some volume in the top down cab. Any first hand experiences? J
I live in Atlanta, in my opinion you would be better off looking elsewhere. Enough said.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm sending one to Radio Man in San Diego, CA tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#23 Post by Wes Bender »

+1 on Radioman in San Diego. Did an excellent job for me. None of these radios are inexpensive to have fixed if you want to keep them original. They're in that expensive zone between crystal sets and modern transistors.....
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#24 Post by Steve Douglas »

Jay, I am planning on being at the Monterey Porsche Dealer on Saturday for their 70th Celebration, starts at 11am so thinking about going to Canepa's Cars and Coffee really early then about 9:30 head south to Monterey. The 356 is still awaiting the transmission, (3months+) so will be driving the 968. Can bring a 6 to 12 volt converter if you need one.
Steve

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Thank you for the kind offer, Steve. I already have a very nice 12 V converter in my car. Didn’t have any luck at the local yards or the samba. EBay is goddamned eBay. The few that look similar to the one you posted that are on there are between $400 and $1200. I will keep my eyes on the Samba and see what pops up.
I was looking forward to driving down to Monterey on Saturday, but I have a side job that just popped up that I could really use the money from. Going on vacation for three weeks next month. Take lots of pictures! J