C of A Help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mario Garcia
356 Fan

C of A Help

#1 Post by Mario Garcia »

Does anyone know if the rules for requesting a Certificate of Authenticity have changed? I recently looked at requesting a COA for my 1960 356 that I purchased several months ago and came across the form that is filled out to request one. In bold letters on the form, it states that, for 1979 or older model years, the engine number and transmission number must be filled in, in order for the COA to be provided (please see attached form). My 356 does not have its original engine so I called the 800 number to see what would happen if I filled in the form with the non-original engine number. I could not get a definitive answer as to what information would come back on the COA.
If anyone has insight or a suggestion, I would appreciate your help. Hate to spend $110+ and not get a COA with info regarding the car's original engine number, etc.
Attachments
COA-Order-Form-MKT 006 078 15-2016-08-030_FINAL.pdf
(155.16 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: C of A Help

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

If I understand it correctly, you can put in the engine and transaxle numbers and the C.o.A. will confirm or state not confirmed for the numbers.

There are contacts to obtain a Kardex which would have the info (and more) that you are looking for.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

PCNA no longer provides the original engine or gearbox number, they will only confirm if the number you provide is the correct one. If it is they put Matching Numbers on the COA, if it isn't they put non-matching or leave the engine/gearbox blank.

This COA is a good example, the engine is matching, the gearbox was not confirmed.

It's a real let down since you can no longer go on a quest for your original engine.
Attachments
13.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

If you send your car Vin# and a picture of the plate with Vin# which is in the trunk of the car to https://www.elevenparts.com/type.php
They will tell you what the original engine # was and then you can get Porsche to send you a COA with the correct engine # on it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715