Hole size for valve stems on rim outers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Hole size for valve stems on rim outers

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

There is a difference in the hole size for valve stems. It was bigger on 356's and then at some point became smaller on 911's, or vice versa.

I would like to know which was which. Bigger and then smaller, or smaller and then bigger.

The question arises because I am working with 5.5" 911 outers, and both kinds are available to me.

Thanks!

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Hole size for valve stems on rim outers

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here's an Ask Brad from 10-27-2017 about the tire valve stem diameters.
Attachments
TireValveStem Q and Q.pdf
(248.78 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek »

Thanks Brad! That hits the spot!

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#4 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

Gents, I had to have one wheel re-chromed and then I had the tire remounted. The tire shop(a national chain) could not balance it and did not know what type of weights are used and where they would go. Any idea on what type of weights or clips and where they are put on the wheel? I am afraid of rotating the tires and finding out the re-chromed wheel will be out of balance.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

I had a wheel balance job (for a local member) done last week by the local notable tire shop nearby on OEM 4-1/2" rims and the shape of the weights on inner rim lips gave concern about contacting the rear lower shock mounting bolt on the C (and possibly a B?) during a hard cornering which stresses the wheel just enough to make contact--sure enough, they did! I explained to the owner that only HARD cornering will give the 'clicking sound', but not regular cornering; I didn't want to add some shims to space the wheel outward since the owner doesn't drive the car that much (150 miles since the last service 1-year + ago! I told him it needs "more excersize"!!!

The original weight shape were/was concave like the rim's shape, but the new weights are kinda squarish which won't fit the rim's lip very well. I messaged the shop mentioning the shape change, but no response yet; I'll personally visit.