356 C 1965

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
pitteloud michel
356 Fan

356 C 1965

#1 Post by pitteloud michel »

dear all
i am new in the club and would like to know from all you experts what kind of engine ( rebuilt,type 4,rabby etc) would you built in your car
if you wanted about 150 to 180 HP ,but reliable
and also would the 741 transmission would support such power
thanks for your adivise guys
michel

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356 C 1965

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Welcome, Michel!

I would suggest visiting John Willhoit's website. He has done extensive research and building of higher horse power engines.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Michel,
Welcome also. But what you ask is not really possible.
You can also ask of Vic, Cliff, Tim and other race engine builders; you can get something over 150HP from a 616 engine for, oh, several hours between rebuilds. And needing revs you really don't want to drive on the street.
You can build pretty big T-4 VW engines and get power that way, but now you've added more weight to the back of a 356 than it really wants.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ashley James
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ashley James »

And the final drive ratio is far too low. In my opinion it is best to respect the standard cars for what they are. They’re bloody good, not fast, but you van buy a Boxster if you need performance.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Are you looking to do this work yourself or have the work done?

Willhoit sells the parts for his big motor conversions. I think the kit runs around $8-10K and to have John build the motor is maybe $30K. You can get 140, 150HP out of it with the 741. There's a good video on Jay Leno's garage of Anand Rajani's car that has a somewhat milder version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFeSTvohf94

I'm not sure Anand is still on the board because I think he sold this car? But maybe you can find him for more info.

The Polo motor and 901 trans is the way folks like Rod Emory hot rod 356s to get REALLY big horsepower but you're talking major bucks at that point. Here's a Jay Leno video on one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwln2ji-yOE

My C coupe has a 1720cc conversion and the butt dyno says it's maybe 100HP. It feels quick enough for me when tuned right given the age and ability of the rest of the car. Keep in mind a big horsepower motor should probably mean uprated brakes, etc. for safety.

Of course some folks go really nuts and drop 911 motors in and turbos and other wacky stuff but in my opinion you've made the car feel like something other than a 356 at that point.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

Installing a stock SC (or even an S90/912) engine, it's already giving over 100HP and reliable tractability is there.
Minor improvements will give 110-120HP, but "What's in Your Wallet?"

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

Michel, I have a 356C with a 1720 engine and Solex carbs and it has enough horsepower for the chassis to handle and I have some experience of driving fast. Trust me on this, you do not need more horsepower without brake and suspension improvements or you will get into trouble unless you are experienced at driving slow cars faster than they were designed to go.
Buy a boxster for way less money than the cost of upgrading the 356C. I know because I have a 97 boxster as well and even that does not need any more horsepower for driving on the open road. If it had 100 more horsepower it would only mean I could drive faster in a straight line and there is no fun in that. Driving a car that feels right in the corners at any speed is far more satisfying than paying big bucks to feel a huge surge in acceleration only to have to use big brakes to bring you back to a sensible speed for the next bend.
Most of the time I enjoy one of my 356's more than the boxster except when it rains or it is miserable weather in which case the boxster is the favored car.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I agree with all of the above, If you want a fast Porsche that is safe buy a newer one.

pitteloud michel
356 Fan

#9 Post by pitteloud michel »

Dear All

thanks a lot for all the answers---i got the point and will restore an 912 engine with willhoit components.
i have red all his articles and learned a lot and it s true to say that my 356 c has not been constructed for more than ...say...120 HP
this should be reached with a 1720 big bore and all the new components willhoit is selling for yes approx 10 k us s
thanks to all who have commented
michel pitteloud