Sale advice :: '55 Continental Coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joe Bakhos
356 Fan

Sale advice :: '55 Continental Coupe

#1 Post by Joe Bakhos »

With a heavy heart, I've decided that it is time for me to part ways with and pass on stewardship of my bent window '55 Continental Coupe. It's a wonderful 356 Pre A that I've owned for over 6 years. Given the specialized market for these cars, I have been exploring different ways to market the car (auction, consignment, hemmings, etc).

I figured I would receive the best, non-partial advice from the community. Original floors, sheet metal (except hood), transmission, but not engine although I have full 2-piece block and 3rd piece from motor 10 numbers off of the original.

Any advice on where and how to market for sale would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_2454.JPG
back.jpg
IMG_2451.JPG
 Wanted Dead or Alive: engine #35762

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

Re: Sale advice :: '55 Continental Coupe

#2 Post by Eric Lenius »

'Joe,

The very best way would be to decide what you would need to be happy with as far as price. Mark that up maybe 15% for negotiation room and advertise (Registry, Hemmings etc.). That way you don't miss out on what the buyer would have to pay in terms of premiums and you aren't nailed with fees. Since you bought the car six years ago, you are up to speed (so to speak) as it is not like you are an 80 year old dude that bought the car used in 1969. And, since you are using terms like "stewardship" we all understand that you are not concerned with dragging the absolute last nickel out of the car and instead want it to go the right buyer. Anyhow, making it for sale (as the great George Gruhn always said: "A guitar without a price is not for sale") by pricing it and cutting those chiselers at the auction houses out of the process puts you in the best position to recover your investment and make sure some unsavory character who does not understand "stewardship" does not buy your beloved Pre-A at auction.

Regards,

Eric Lenius

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#3 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

For places to sell I think you have a couple options. First, we have classifieds here on the Registry that are viewed daily by many folks who may be interested in a car such as yours. Second you could do a site like Bring a Trailer. Note that for BaT your car has to be at 100% and you have to be ready to answer questions and maybe even defend your cars honor over the course of the auction.

For price you have to look around and see what other cars are going for a throw out a starting price. I think if you wanted some honest ideas from members about a price more information and photos would be required. It's tough to make a call about a price of a car without seeing it in person, and if using photos I always tell someone I want to start with 20 photos and then i'll let them know a few additional. For instance, you don't have a photo of the pans, engine, interior, gauges.

While I don't personally ask for one, many buyers today ask for a COA and/or Kardex. Also have the service history and it's not a bad idea to have a PPI done before the sale as that can sometimes be enough for some people, while others will want to have their own done.

It's a beautiful car, and I am sorry you have to part with it. You have great resources here.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

John Standish
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Standish »

I owned #53733 about fifty years ago in Baltimore, what's your #?