356 Carrera 2 restoration by Glenn Herman

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scheuer Florian
356 Fan

356 Carrera 2 restoration by Glenn Herman

#1 Post by Scheuer Florian »

Hello everybody,

we are just about to restore a Porsche 356 Carrera 2 which was already restored by Glenn Herman back in 1988 who was writing his name and some details of the restoration behind the cover of the A pilar. I was hoping to get in contact with this gentleman to maybe get some more details and pictures of that restoration to get a full history of the car

I would appreciate any kind of help
Attachments
DSCN0887.JPG

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: 356 Carrera 2 restoration by Glenn Herman

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

There is a well-known 356 restorer named Tim Herman who has restored many Carreras. His website is carreramotorsport.com

Maybe Tim and Glenn are related.

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#3 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Unfortunately, Glenn Herman passed away nearly 4 years ago. The Carrera 2 you own was sold at the estate auction following his death in New Jersey and later shipped to Europe where I assume you bought it from the Austrian dealer. Glenn was a great Porsche enthusiast who won the PCA Manhattan Trophy and was PCA Head Judge at least once. I'm afraid the details you seek may be lost to history. Glenn Herman is not related to Tim Herman.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Did Glenn have any employees that might know anything? Or a paint shop he used?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Scheuer Florian
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scheuer Florian »

Peter Bartelli wrote:Unfortunately, Glenn Herman passed away nearly 4 years ago. The Carrera 2 you own was sold at the estate auction following his death in New Jersey and later shipped to Europe where I assume you bought it from the Austrian dealer. Glenn was a great Porsche enthusiast who won the PCA Manhattan Trophy and was PCA Head Judge at least once. I'm afraid the details you seek may be lost to history. Glenn Herman is not related to Tim Herman.
Thanks a lot !
Eventhough I am sorry to hear such sad information
Is there any chance to speak to someone related to Glenn to get a little more info about the work done on the engine?

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#6 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Scheuer and Martin...
Glenn was not married...at least not by the time I met him in 1988. The Carrera was finished by then. He did not own a restoration shop or have any employees.
The engine was rebuilt by Bill Doyle who, sadly, has also has passed away. Bill Doyle was certainly one of the best 4 cam builders in the world...he did my engine as well. The Paterek Brothers restoration shop in New Jersey MAY have a few answers for you only because they knew Glenn, not because they did any of the restoration work...I just don't know if John or Ray Patetek did or did not work on the car. Sorry. The shop phone number is +1 973.635.5924 and the email is: paterekr@yahoo.com