Classic Cars - Wanted

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Beam
356 Fan

Classic Cars - Wanted

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

For thew past few months here in Albuquerque I have noticed an ad in the daily Journal newspaper wanting to buy classic cars, i.e. Healeys, Mercedes, Jaguars, Alphas and Porsches. Contact email is listed as: Kellyutaz@msn.com Has anyone dealt with this buyer? I get the impression that the buyer is a 'flipper' seeking to buy low and sell high? Comments/experiences?
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: Classic Cars - Wanted

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

My opinion is that what the buyer really wants is for someone else to do all of the leg work for them. Then, when presented with a fair price on a really nice collectible car, they want you to practically give it to them for nothing. Finally, they want to turn around and sell it to someone with more money than brains so they can make a killing on it. Seller beware.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Wonder how many "Alphas" he'll find....... Maybe he should clarify that he's looking for "Alpha Romeros".
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Buying and selling cars is a business. Profit is made by buying the product at a price comfortably lower than the retail price. I don't see a problem. Generally the person that lets a car go for less than retail does not want to deal with idiot buyers and does not want to warrant the soundness of the car. In other words they don't want to do what is required to get a strong retail price and they usually will admit that they could get more if they made an effort but they don't want the hassle.

It is also true that some businesses have developed a reputation which is a comfort to those who don't want to deal with questionable strangers who may or may not be forthright concerning the details or history of a car. These retailers often sell a car for much more money than the knowledgable long time enthusiast owners think is the max.

Nothing that you buy from any business selling any product is commonly being sold for their acquisition cost. I'm pretty sure all the S&P 500 companies follow that rule.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Lindstrom »

Many “middlemen” do not have a track record of taking care of their customers, although that is what they advertise and profess to. Truth is, with a lot of them, the only person that they usually take care of is themselves. Personally, when I set out to purchase a vehicle, I rarely trust the so called “professional”. Instead I locate an “original owner” or similar, then take it to an independent to verify. There is a reason that certain aspects of society seem to have a bad reputation..

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I would buy a car from anybody I trusted enough to legitimately sell me an actual car. In general I would not be concerned with what they said, the car would speak for itself, and the price would have to appeal to me.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna