True garage find, single owner 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Anton C Moody
356 Fan

True garage find, single owner 356C

#1 Post by Anton C Moody »

Hello all,
For years in my rural community in Northeastern MN I had heard about a 356 hiding away in a garage along the shore of Lake Superior. I have been a German car fan since i purchased my first, a '71 VW Fastback when i was 17, and over the years have owned all sorts of air and water cooled VW's. In college, my best friend had a 88 911 that i got to use to run errands and take on dates. Since then, i've been trying to make that fantastic upgrade to the Porsche family. I've always loved the 356, but as I've watched prices escalate I'd come to accept that I was more in the market for a 912, or perhaps an SC 911. Watching and waiting.

I pulled into the shop space i rent for my business last Spring and sitting there is a dusty, but remarkably intact 356C. It was the fabled 356 I'd heard about. My landlord was crating up the engine, and dropping the 912 engine which was in the car, and sending them both off to be rebuilt. I had the chance to look over the car, and find out, after 25 years in storage, the original owners son (who's in his late 70's) was getting ready to get the car back on the road. Several months later, a fresh 356 motor arrived at the shop, and my landlord, knowing my interest in the car, informed me the owner had decided to sell it and it was gone. I was dissapointed to know the car would be leaving, but figured, it was out of my league anyway, so the search would continue for my first Porsche.
In mid April of this year, the owner stopped by to talk to my landlord and i mentioned the 356 and its recent sale. He said, the sale fell through, as the would-be-buyer offered him $5000, which he knew was ridiculous. I got distracted by a phone call, but he stock his head in my shop before he left and said "Even if it's not you, if you know someone who would be interested, I'd like to get $XXXXX for the car. The amount was half of what i thought he'd ask. I played it cool, and called a few days later asking if i could come out and take a closer look. I did, and gave him his full asking price. I finally got my Porsche.
So, here i am. I have most all of the original documentation, including the factory inspection tag. I have added it to the Registry, and feel like the luckiest SOB to join your group. Chassis number is #218841
Total miles on the body are 62,952. It's a little crunchy here and there, with an accident on the passenger side in '72 which lead to a pretty terrible repaint.
I'm mounting some new tires, going through the fuel and brake systems, and am dropping the engine in next week.
I am looking long term in regards to doing the needed bodywork and repaint, but for now, will be taking my two little kids out driving the curvy Northwoods roads and letting them smell that German car smell, and listen to that unmistakable sound and feel of an air cooled Porsche. Any and all advice is welcome!
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5488.JPG

George Kehler
356 Fan

Re: True garage find, single owner 356C

#2 Post by George Kehler »

Welcome to the Registry !! What a find and look forward to updates on her !! These finds are what we love !! They are still out there !!
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Who built the engine and to what spec? Hopefully you got a build sheet? Congratulations on what looks like a very nice find. Look for a private e-mail from me.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Anton C Moody
356 Fan

#4 Post by Anton C Moody »

Thanks George! I'm looking forward to getting her on the road!

David,
Thanks for the email. I will take you up on that. Engine was rebuilt by AC Engines in Sonoma, CA. As I've been reading the threads on here and elsewhere, it sounds like that guy has had some issues as far as customer satisfaction. That said, it was kind of out of my hands, as it was done before i was on the scene. I don't have the build sheet in front of me. I'm hoping it was done right. The original owner (well, his son) is who ended up sending it out there. I think it went to AutoEdge in Mpls first, and i dont know what went down with them before sending it out West. Anything you would recommend i check out before firing it up?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Anton, unfortunatly as you have already ascertained to some extent that AC does not have a solid reputation. I would recommend a leak down test and turn the engine over by hand before attempting to spin it over with the starter. AC had a reputation for using somewhat less than perfect parts and also some mismatched parts on their engine builds. Short of taking it apart there is not a lot you can do at this time. As you have experience with VW's you may well be able to take stock of the engine once you fire it up but be careful and take short runs before you set off cross country.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

welcome to the registry and thank you for making my day :) very cool story and great find!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Anton C Moody
356 Fan

#7 Post by Anton C Moody »

Thanks Jules! I'm pretty excited!

Anton C Moody
356 Fan

#8 Post by Anton C Moody »

David,
Though it will be hard to hold back, i will certainly hold back early on and stay within cell phone range for a rescue mission!!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Anton; best wishes for a successful ownership. Congratulations!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Welcome and congratulations.As someone who grew up in Fargo/Moorhead and fell in love with 356s in the early 60s I am very very jealous.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#11 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Congrats Anton!
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Good for you! Looks like the car has finally found it's home! Welcome too.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

David Jones wrote:I would recommend a leak down test and turn the engine over by hand before attempting to spin it over with the starter. AC had a reputation for using somewhat less than perfect parts and also some mismatched parts on their engine builds. Short of taking it apart there is not a lot you can do at this time.
What David said.
If this engine was built on the original case ('matching numbers'), I would do whatever I could to make sure it is not a time-bomb. You wouldn't want to lose the original case to someone's 'econo-build' A rods.
Turning it over by hand will make sure he didn't build in a little too much CR, leaving the pistons contacting the heads. You can pull the sump plate and check the rods and wiggle them to make sure they aren't 0.00 bearings on a 0.01" crank grind. Push the flywheel back and forth to see if the end-float is good. Drop the rocker boxes and give the valve gear a good look. Spin the pushrods when they're loose to get an idea of whether they are straight.
And you can add one more "welcome" to the growing list.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Anton C Moody
356 Fan

#14 Post by Anton C Moody »

Ron, it is a numbers matching vehicle. I will follow your advice. I’m sure I’ll have more questions but hopefully they’ll be of the positive sort and not the “oh shit what do I do now” type. It feels like being a guardian to a piece of mechanical artwork and I’m really hoping I don’t screw it up! Or, that something hasn’t been screwed up already!

Anton C Moody
356 Fan

#15 Post by Anton C Moody »

Dan, Doug and Ed,
Thanks for the welcome!
Vic,
I watched your auction on BAT and between that site and this one have learned so much. Thanks for all you’ve done for the 356 and the culture around it!