Shipping a 356

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

Shipping a 356

#1 Post by Scott Ramsay »

Looking to ship a car from Alexandria Virginia (which is near the Reagan airport) to St. Paul, MN. Any suggestions? Does not need to be covered, but OK with that option. Thanks!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Shipping a 356

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

It depends on how nice of a car it is and if it runs. Non-op's get smashed up a lot, I know, I buy a lot of non-op's.

Personally, if it's a car you care about, I would fly in, rent a truck and trailer and drive back, you could do it all in two days tops. It would cost about the same as shipping it, but less chance of it getting damaged.

Here are some horror stories:
https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/201 ... -porsches/

Or my favorite, the guy who booked a cowboy on U-Ship, the guy showed up with a converted motor home full of furniture, he un-loaded the furniture, loaded the car, and re-loaded all the furniture, on top of the car, double booking the trailer was very profitable!
Attachments
ushipn.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott Ramsay »

Yikes, thanks! I am pressed for time so that won't work. I was recommended to check out Applewood Motor Car Transport from a 356 & early 911 shop that has been using them for 15 years. I left them a message.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Or if you have frequent flier miles one day to my house. Fly here and 10 hours to your house. Adam Car runs fine and is being driven 1 hr 20 minutes to PPI by owner.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I shipped my '64C from Nashville, Tennessee to Richmond, VA using Intercity Lines when I bought it. I had no issues with their service. They met the owner at a WalMart parking lot in Nashville, and they met me in a Food Lion parking lot a few miles from my house (I had a 1/4 mile long gravel drive that was not semi truck appropriate).

I drove the car the final 5 miles or so to the house, and the truck driver was nice enough to drive my other car to save me a trip.

I have also done a bunch of fly-in and drive home road trips, most recently when buying my '84 Carrera Targa. It's a fun adventure if you can swing it!

-Sean

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Scott Ramsay wrote:Yikes, thanks! I am pressed for time so that won't work. I was recommended to check out Applewood Motor Car Transport from a 356 & early 911 shop that has been using them for 15 years. I left them a message.
If you can't fly in and get the car, I suggest going with one of the large known trucking lines like Reliable or Intercity, yes, you will pay more, sometimes double, but just know when a trucker damages your car, there is little or no recourse. I've seen it all, trying to sue a P.O. Box, fake insurance cards, or my favorite, the guy gave me his insurance card, except the owner of the company had one truck insured and 10 trucks running, with lots of insurance cards. When I went to collect Progressive denied it and dropped the company, and I had a smashed up car.
Don't get cheap if it's a car you care about, know it's going to cost you between $1500-2500, which sounds crazy when some trucker says he can do it for $700. But in trucking, like a steak dinner, you get what you pay for.
When this is what you buy, and this is what arrives, it isn't a good feeling.
Attachments
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Applewoods web site indicates that they don't go to Minnesota and here is a previous link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42644&hilit=auto+transport
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Google searched Reliable auto transport lots of hits Adam do you have the correct website for them?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Google searched Reliable auto transport lots of hits Adam do you have the correct website for them?
Pretty sure it's this one:

https://reliable-carriers.com/

I've never used them, hard to pay double to triple rates if you're in business, but if it was a personal car I would.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

John Wurner
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Wurner »

Hi
I used Great River Transport Company 612 247-3538, they are located in Minnesota.
Picked up a car for me NH in the middle of winter.
Nice people.
John

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#11 Post by Jim Liberty »

I use Reliable Carriers. You can find cheaper, but their drivers are real car people. I had a car at a concourse across the country this Spring. The battery was dead on arrival. The trucker team (Husband and wife) borrowed a pickup, went to an auto parts store, and bought a 6V charger and got me to the "Church" on time.

.....................................That is service !!! ..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Car Scott is shipping definitely runs. It is a 65C owned and well cared for since February of 66.

Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

#13 Post by Scott Ramsay »

Thanks. Ended up setting up with Montway, but the car did not pass inspection. Putting an offer on a new car tomorrow so fingers crossed! I'll look at Reliable if need be. Thanks all!