Requesting Suggestions on Selling 356 1955 Pre-A

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Howard Fox
356 Fan

Requesting Suggestions on Selling 356 1955 Pre-A

#1 Post by Howard Fox »

My husband has decided to sell his 356 1955 Pre-A Coupe (Bent Windshield). We would like to receive suggestions on the best way to go about selling and determining an asking price. He purchased it as a project car in 1974 and did some work on it but time demands put it on the back burner. It has always been garaged. The body is in rust-free, intact condition. Primered. It has a 1962 1600S engine, 1958 transaxle, 1962 brakes and 15-inch wheels. He has about 90% of the parts/pieces. Significant parts missing - back seat, bumpers, driver's side door glass and window regulator. Thanks for any help.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Requesting Suggestions on Selling 356 1955 Pre-A

#2 Post by David Jones »

Put it on BAT or if you have already decided on a sale price try the registry classifieds because you have an audience to whom the car will sell quickly if the price is right.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

BAT is bringatrailer.com an online auction site. Let us know in general where you are located and we may be able to help get you to some folks who could assist on valuation. BAT charges a listing fee that is reasonable $99. That is your only cost. It is up to you to set a reserve price and more info will be needed to determine what that should be set at.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

And welcome aboard.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Sorry to hear that your husband is thinking of selling! Any particular reason for the sale? That you'd be comfortable sharing?

Pre-As and early 356s are HOT right now. Hagerty's price tool has a #1 concours-condition '55 Super at $210,000. The bottom of the market or "fair" cars (daily drivers with some flaws) is $64,000 - so a big spread there.

I'd strongly recommend getting an appraisal by a knowledgeable 356 expert like Vic Skirmants or Prescott Kelly (of Market Watch in our newsletter fame). I'm sure they could give you a good ballpark just from photos. I'm not sure if they charge for that or not.

What's your location, by the way? (I see now that Doug already asked this)

I'd move mountains for the right Pre-A (a non-numbers matching, in primer Pre-A fits the bill!), so keep us posted as I'm sure there are a lot of enthusiasts on this site who would be great caretakers.

-Sean

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ned Gorski »

Howard
seeing that car you are looking to sell is a 55 you should order the karadex. There are guys on the list that can get you a copy for under $100 .. The kardex is important because if its a hoffman delivered car it makes it a continental . and the Continentals do demand a premium.
Regards Ned
55 Continental cab

Howard Fox
356 Fan

#7 Post by Howard Fox »

We are in Omaha, NE. Circumstances (divorce, work space, available time, age) are such that it just seems letting go is what should occur now. Although, he is still a huge Porsche enthusiast, he just isn't as passionate about this project as he once was. This will be a great project car for someone.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#8 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Ned Gorski wrote:Howard
seeing that car you are looking to sell is a 55 you should order the karadex. There are guys on the list that can get you a copy for under $100 .. The kardex is important because if its a hoffman delivered car it makes it a continental . and the Continentals do demand a premium.
Regards Ned
55 Continental cab
^ Very good advice. You might also start assembling documentation and the cars story over your period of ownership, and as far back before that as you can go. People seem to part with more money to buy into a good story.

David Pateman
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Pateman »

Ned Gorski wrote:seeing that car you are looking to sell is a 55 you should order the kardex. There are guys on the list that can get you a copy for under $100. The kardex is important because if its a Hoffman delivered car it makes it a continental.
You cannot get a COA for $100, let alone the Kardex. Contact me for a current price or to order one though.
Contact for Kardex

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#10 Post by Edwin Ek »

Speaking from experience, your interest waxes and wanes. I wouldn't make a decision to sell now based on how you feel now. When you are wrestling with some things, you invariably make decisions you regret.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#11 Post by Jim Liberty »

I would be interested in buying the car for restoration. My shop specializes in these early cars. Can you send me pictures and a price. Jim Liberty jimliberty356@gmail.com.
Jim Liberty

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ned Gorski »

David Pateman wrote:
Ned Gorski wrote:seeing that car you are looking to sell is a 55 you should order the kardex. There are guys on the list that can get you a copy for under $100. The kardex is important because if its a Hoffman delivered car it makes it a continental.
You cannot get a COA for $100, let alone the Kardex. Contact me for a current price or to order one though.
David my mistake i paid $85 a few years back (everything 356 related has gone up i wasn't even thinking) Why not simply say i can get you a copy for X ...this way everyone reading will know the going price for a scanned copy of a kardex . A coa is useless