Why the double bend?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Why the double bend?

#1 Post by David Jones »

On the pushrod link from the thermostat bellows there is a double bend in the rod. I presume it was there to clear the carb linkage on the single throat carbs with the horizontal operating bar, but that was a relatively short lived set up so perhaps there was a better/another reason.
Just asking out of curiosity because as I was assembling an engine this week I had one of those "what for" moments.
By the way the rod is shown in the correct orientation with the top of the bend up as shown in the factory manual for those authenticity nuts with OCD. :P
Attachments
IMG_3185.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Why the double bend?

#2 Post by C J Murray »

That clears the single barrel Solex throttle linkage.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#3 Post by Chuck Allard »

Makes it easier to unwind from the bellows :P

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#4 Post by David Jones »

When did the thermostat come in? It was not on the pre "A" initially. When did Porsche decide that carb heating was necessary for cold start fast warm up?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

1957 had it
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

IMG_2179.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 942 times
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

That was what I thought but why keep it after the dual single carb linkage was dropped?
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

Yeah, It does seem strange that it didn't need the double bend for the dual throat carb setup. W/all (or some) of certain updated parts
having the same #, why this one didn't get a straight rod replacement; Of course, a 1/8" rod could be made easily w/metric threads on 1-end.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

David Jones wrote:That was what I thought but why keep it after the dual single carb linkage was dropped?
Any change in a part spec means changes in inventory tracking, part number changes (in the parts manuals), drafting time, co-ordination with the supplier (who may have already given an great price on thousands of the things). And someone to stand up in the engineering meeting and say 'We should revise this part' and defend that claim on business reasons.
So there are many admin and business reasons *not* to change it, and for such an inconsequential part, I can't see anyone bothering to suggest it. As Chuck mentions, it has the quality of making rotation easy.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ron LaDow wrote:
David Jones wrote:That was what I thought but why keep it after the dual single carb linkage was dropped?
Any change in a part spec means changes in inventory tracking, part number changes (in the parts manuals), drafting time, co-ordination with the supplier (who may have already given an great price on thousands of the things). And someone to stand up in the engineering meeting and say 'We should revise this part' and defend that claim on business reasons.
So there are many admin and business reasons *not* to change it, and for such an inconsequential part, I can't see anyone bothering to suggest it. As Chuck mentions, it has the quality of making rotation easy.
Couldn't have said it any better. Also the reason for the dipstick holding loop on the oil filter bracket.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dick Weiss »

I'll settle on both anyway; There's been occasions when removing "stuck" Thermo rods & easier to loosen it w/o using a vise-grip!
I never use the so-called dipstick "receptacle".

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#12 Post by James Davies »

David Jones wrote:When did the thermostat come in? It was not on the pre "A" initially. When did Porsche decide that carb heating was necessary for cold start fast warm up?
It started with the 1600 engines at the end of 1955.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Porsche realized that the amount of flex allowed by the two bends was crucial to the correct operation of the thermostat even after the throttle linkage was changed. Just kidding! They must have had a zillion made already and just left them that way.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion