smoking under car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
scott bensinger
356 Fan

smoking under car

#1 Post by scott bensinger »

the engine is smoking and attached is a photo of the (wet) pipe , I cant find a gas or oil leak and advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
scott
Attachments
image1a.jpeg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: smoking under car

#2 Post by David Jones »

Check the screws below and front and rear of carburetor that hold the sheet metal in place. One of them may have come loose. If not that, then because it is on the same side as the oil cooler it could be from the base of the oil cooler. Better hope that is not the cause.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Check to see how far up it is wet, as David suggests, it could be a couple of things. A lower leak might suggest a push rod tube seal or valve cover gasket.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geoff Fleming »

...or the more insidious leaking through dried and split lower head bolt seals, which appears to be leakage of the pushrod end seals.
You can replace the head bolt seals with the engine in place, doing one at a time and re-torquing each after the new seal is in place. Trickiest part is not losing the special washers which lie beneath the head bolts...remove with a wand type magnet and when re-installing a bolt, attach the washer to the bottom of the bolt with a heavy grease which will hold it in place long enough to get everything situated. Replace rocker gear, re-set the clearance and you are back to normal.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

If you have to do the head bolt seal, watch carefully, usually the washer will stay in the head. As long as you are positive it is in place, there is no reason to remove it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna