Zenith missing staked cover

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

Zenith missing staked cover

#1 Post by Gordon Watkins »

In sorting through my Zenith carbs, which have been in storage for 20 years, I notice one is missing the small, staked cover in the carb top which accesses the accelerator pump chamber. It's adjacent to where the accelerator pump control arm bolts to the carb. It's present on the left carb but missing on the right and I assume it was dislodged at some point. I don't see it in the parts catalogue so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on a remedy. What's the purpose of that port? Can the hole be filled with JB-Weld or otherwise sealed or do I need to look for a replacement top? Suggestions are appreciated.
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Zenith missing staked cover

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

The purpose had something to do with the manufacturing, probably supporting a core. It has no function in use. It's a brass disc, ~.06" thick. I had a batch punched out when I was rebopping them, but those are gone. Check with our rebuilders and see if they have had them made. Or if you have some .06" brass, and some time, you can make a replacement which is pretty much a duplicate of the factory part.
Clean the hole (there's a ledge in there; it stops the plug from falling inwards) and the plug. Clear epoxy applied with a toothpick will keep it there longer than the stakes did.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Thanks Ron. I'll check around. Sounds like not an uncommon problem.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

This happened to my at the time dad's Roadster on the left side Zenith back in the '90's. I used some plumber's epoxy putty as a short term patch and while it's not concours level, 25+ years later it is working just fine. Not so short term after all...

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

BTW, if you have a really ruined carb top or find someone who does, you can knock the disc out of that for reuse, but beware:
There are two of those block-offs and they are different sizes.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Bruechle »

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

I had a similar problem a couple years ago and made some. It takes two tools and some brass or aluminum shim stock

You use the ball punch and the block below. You size the plug based on the carbutor hole +.002. ( next larger dimple) Cut the plug from brass shim stock, by hammering the largest ball into the correct size dimple in the block. It will cut the brass into a slug. Then you form a dome on it, with a larger dimple and matching size ball. It's like making a gasket with a ball peen hammer, only more delicate.

Now what you get is a small brass dome, a little over size of the hole with a thinned sharp outer diameter edge. Look at it and measure for the slight over size. To install, you place it in the hole, dome out and tap it in with a flat punch about 2/3 the diameter of the domed plug. The dome will flatten out, it spreads out and seals the hole.

It's not hard to do but takes some unusual tools. If you have a older local jeweler, he has the tools, he can probably knock out 50 in an hour. You will need to bring him the shim stock, from any auto parts store.

It's really not hard, go fix it,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Piece-Dappi ... 0005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/p/Jewelry-Tools-Da ... 0005.m1851
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#8 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Seems like if folks are going to the trouble to make these tiny items, there must be extras available for sale. Maybe I'll hear from someone. Fingers crossed!
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera