Anodizing hood handle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Kehler
356 Fan

Anodizing hood handle

#1 Post by George Kehler »

Does anyone know who can anodizing for my 1955 hood handle ?? And reasonably?? Thanks. George K
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Anodizing hood handle

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Hi George,
I'm not sure if your car has a blunt nose or pointy nose handle or when they started anodizing the handles. A good chrome shop can buff these out and with a little Happich Simichrome they pop like chrome. These from my '55 #53449.
30DSC_0342.jpg
DSC_0348 (Medium).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've had bumper and rocker decos polished and anodized by Custom Metal Finishing in Gardena, California.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Did they come out beautiful? I have heard it is very difficult to anodize old parts and have it work well.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

They came out very nice. I had them do a few sets. They have someone they can send the parts out to have the scratches, etc. removed and the parts polished before anodizing. I also had very good results by first having one of my chrome shops polish the parts then having them anodized.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Silten »

I have restored a number of aluminum parts, including a hood handle, decos, etc., using just sand paper, 3M pads and various polishes. The hood handle had a number of nasty scratches and gouges. When I was done sanding and polishing the handle it looked good as new. No anodizing was necessary. Also, I have been told that the anodizing that is available today does not have the same look as the anodizing that was available many years ago.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#7 Post by Spencer Harris »

Peter Silten wrote:I have restored a number of aluminum parts, including a hood handle, decos, etc., using just sand paper, 3M pads and various polishes. The hood handle had a number of nasty scratches and gouges. When I was done sanding and polishing the handle it looked good as new. No anodizing was necessary. Also, I have been told that the anodizing that is available today does not have the same look as the anodizing that was available many years ago.
To Peter's point:
DSC_0349 (Large).JPG
DSC_0350 (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.