Re-assemble Rusty Threads

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

Re-assemble Rusty Threads

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

I am going to install used bumper guards on my C Coupe. The threads are rusty. And I don't want to send these out to a plater. And I do want to be able to take them apart in the future. So which product is best to apply to the threads before assembly to ease future disassembly? Loctite Blue 243 (or 242), or an anti-sieze lubricant?

TIA,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Re-assemble Rusty Threads

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Carl
I would first de-rust the threads with a spinning wire wheel on a drill or bench grinder. Then coat threads with anti sieze.
Phil Planck

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

You may need to run a die over them if the rust is more than a wire brush will remove. Also tighten the nuts gently as the studs get thinner and weaker when they rust. If the studs are actually terribly rusted you might need to use the LocTite while planning to replace the guards in the future.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Carl,
Not sure male/female threads.
Male, wire-wheel and use anti seize if it is used as a driver.
Female, run a tap through and ditto.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Steven Murray
356 Fan

Al zim once wrote 'use thread chaser, not die ' so I am cur

#5 Post by Steven Murray »

Martin Benade wrote:You may need to run a die over them if the rust is more than a wire brush will remove.
Al zim once wrote 'use thread chaser, not die '. The subject was 'secure exhaust flange studs' back in sept 14, 2017. So is anybody hip to when you use die vs thread chaser?

Sometimes i cleanup bolts with a die, but am now afraid (don't have thread chasers yet).

Here is more or the Zim quote 'Your situation is solved very simply. Use a thread chaser (not a die) to remove the rust from the stud (the studs remain in the head). You can purchase Brass metric nuts with 13mm hex ... '

BTW - is that what this snap-on rethreading kit is about? For the 'don't use die' times. https://store.snapon.com/U-S-Metric-Com ... 41094.aspx

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

That's exactly what I use whenever I'm dealing with rusty or crusty threads.

Added by edit: I also always use copper flange nuts on exhaust studs from Belmetric:
https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flange-c-3_51_53/

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Cory Evens
356 Fan

#7 Post by Cory Evens »

You could soak in Evapo-Rust from O'Reilly's or from Amazon. Takes off surface rust on Chrome really nicely so you could soak the whole bumper guard in a bucket. Or how I use it for tricky places is to soak a blue paper towel sheet from your auto parts store in the Evapo-Rust and wrap the bolt or rusty part with it so the part gets soaked for a few hours. It's a wonder for taking off rust.

Then chase with a tap and die for both the bolt and nut or boss, with some thread oil. WD-40 or Blaster penetrating oil works for chasing threads. After you can coat with Boe-Shield and let it dry for some protection. Little bit of white grease when you mate them back to a nut or boss helps.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Wildrick »

A few years ago, I bought a $35 compact thread restorer from Griot's Garage. It adjusts to any bolt's thread size up to a 1/2 inch diameter bolt.
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/bull ... mz1208zbea.
It has saved my bacon several times.
I couldn't find it in Griot's current catalog, but Eastwood has one that looks the same, although somewhat more expensive:
https://www.eastwood.com/universal-thre ... gJuYPD_BwE

Added by edit: Amazon has the one that looks like Griot's for about the same price ($33.47 and free shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/UTR-Universal-Im ... tool&psc=1
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

I guess we're talking about http://www.sears.com/craftsman-cm-unive ... Ygodb50OYg , at Sears (if any of their stores are still open) and
looks like
Attachments
Thread restore tool.jpg
Thread restore tool.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

A thread chaser is an inexpensive tool that can clean/restore many sizes of damaged threads. It is not better than a die, just more universal. Chasers have a thread angle which is not necessarily the same as what you are repairing, but usually close enough to work. No harm will come from using a tap or die in a previously threaded part, it will not cut excessive metal, unless you are short on the necessary skill.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

See my new post.
Last edited by Al Zim on Wed May 30, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steven Murray »

Al Zim wrote: I would like to reiterate that is is important to use a thread chaser rather than a tap and die to clean threads.

You must coat the cleaned metal immediately or it will start to rust.
Zim sells a tube of Thread Life, anti-seize which usually lasts a long time for $2.49 include it with your order there will be no extra shipping charges.
1. I did buy the $33.47 Thread restorer Is a thread chaser different?

2. coat the metal? - anti-seize might be good for the threads. I'd always like to protect the heads from rust as that is critical for future removal. Paint might be a problem on the treads, maybe folks mask off the threads and paint the heads? Anti-seize the threads.

3. A zim article was mentioned, i didn't see it as an article under resources or on the zim web site. Perhaps the answers are all there.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steven Murray »

Steven Murray wrote:
Al Zim wrote: I would like to reiterate that is is important to use a thread chaser rather than a tap and die to clean threads.

You must coat the cleaned metal immediately or it will start to rust.
Zim sells a tube of Thread Life, anti-seize which usually lasts a long time for $2.49 include it with your order there will be no extra shipping charges.
1. I did just buy the $33.47 Thread restorer Is a thread chaser different? I had added a previous link to this kit - is it relevant? Or maybe a item within this kit?
https://store.snapon.com/U-S-Metric-Com ... 41094.aspx

2. coat the metal? - anti-seize might be good for the threads. I'd always like to protect the heads from rust as that is critical that the head not become smaller , for ease of future removal. Paint might be a problem on the treads, maybe folks mask off the threads and paint the heads? Anti-seize the threads.

3. A zim article was mentioned, i didn't see it as an article under resources or on the zim web site. Perhaps the answers are all there.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#14 Post by Al Zim »

Since my original post on rust removal Zim’s Autotechnik has successfully used other methods of rust removal. Use of a thread chaser instead of a tap and die is most important. The thread chaser is not designed to remove metal. This allows the bolt and nut to retain it’s the correct size and strength. There is no need to use other mechanical means to remove rust. EVAPO-RUST is a non-toxic, non-hazardous, non-flammable product that is available from most hardware and auto supply stores. Soaking your rusty part may take as long as 24 hours but usually it is a much shorter period. Once the part is removed and washed it needs to be coated or rust will begin quickly. Their advertisement states that a gallon will clean 300 pounds of metal. The worn out product can be disposed in the sewer system al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/