Which year 356 to purchase

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: Which year 356 to purchase

#31 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Scott, a "good rule of thumb" - to keep in mind with every Porsche model ever made - is that when the Company decides to phase out a particular model (in this case the 356) the last model year tends to benefit from getting the best of everything that has been developed by Porsche for that model up to its end of production.

So as the place to start consider the newest model year ('65) 356 in the best condition that meets your budget for your first experience with a 356.

As you gain experience and familiarity you may consider something else in the 356 family that provides more interest to you for any number of reasons including styling, driving experience, model sophistication and investment potential.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#32 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Craig I am not saying that a single mount trans car can't be nice-especially since Zims now reproduces the front mount. But not a car I would recommend for a newbie who lies in Mpls/St Paul. Not a hotbed of 356s. Although I did see a few there when I was in school at U of M. Heck I even saw a few in Fargo growing up but a very few.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#33 Post by Adam Wright »

I've driven, A's, B's, and C's. And compared to modern cars and modern Porsches they all drive about the same. Yes, you can point out differences in the handling, performance, etc, but most of these characteristics are subtle to someone who isn't familiar to driving a 50 year old car. The most striking difference is probably the Pre-A just because it was the most crude in terms of creature comforts and performance. I wouldn't recommend a Pre-A to a first time 356er.
Basically the 356 is now a weekend cruiser and occasional road trip car so you should probably buy based on a couple of factors.
1. Your budget, you should always buy the nicest 356 you can afford.
2. The one you most admire in terms of style, i.e. buy it for the looks.

So if your budget allows you a nice B/C car versus a rough A car, you should probably go with the B/C, even if you like the looks of the A car better. You can always trade up later, but you want your first 356 to be the best experience possible. For example, if you're first 356 has rust holes in the floors that let in water, and breaks down a lot, it will be hard to get your wife or husband to catch the 356 bug like you. And having company while cruising is fun.
My car is a T5B, so right in the middle. Bigger drum brakes than the A, but not discs like the C. But I do have a C motor, which is my favorite 356 motor in terms of longevity. Non-counterweighted crank and Zenith carbs, should last me a million miles!
Attachments
jessroad.JPG
date1-1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#34 Post by Craig Richter »

Fargo?? Well, as someone on here says, "air never freezes", or something like that. Brrrrrrr.

Wow, Adam, you're stylin'. Beautiful. Car's nice too.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#35 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes Craig I saw 43 below one morning and it was difficult to start the car to drive to college. When everyone started wearing buttons that said " 30 below keeps the riffraff out" I had to leave
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Adam Wright »

Craig Richter wrote:Fargo?? Well, as someone on here says, "air never freezes", or something like that. Brrrrrrr.

Wow, Adam, you're stylin'. Beautiful. Car's nice too.
Thanks! The car won't be red the next time anyone see's it though. The lady is timeless.
Attachments
52.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#37 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Going to original color or color you love?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Going to original color or color you love?
Original is Ruby Red, I'm switching to silver, the next owner can curse me and change it back, but I'll be dead.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#39 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I always say "Paint it the color that makes you smile every time you look at it." Your car your money, Why not?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#40 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I always say "Paint it the color that makes you smile every time you look at it." Your car your money, Why not?
I fought it for 10 years, thinking I shouldn't change the color. But I finally decided my car will never win any awards, flat floors, later motor, so I should just drive what I like.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#41 Post by Wes Bender »

I thought all Porsches were supposed to be silver back in the day........ If it were't so much work and I had the time, mine would be silver now.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

robert e gwaltney
356 Fan

#42 Post by robert e gwaltney »

Adam, its looking good, what color interior r u going with, my silver B coupe is silver with black but was toying with the idea of going with green or wine colored leather? thanks, robb g
Robb Gwaltney

71 911 T Coupe RS Outlaw, white
62 356B Coupe Silver Metallic
95 HD FLSTN
2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition
1998 E36 M3 track car
2007 BMW 650i

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#43 Post by Adrian Rendle »

Scott, i hope i'm not stating the bleedin obvious but you MUST look underneath any prospective purchase yourself, DO NOT trust anyone else to do this for you : have a good poke around....then, inside, just above where the inner cill (longit to you, the bit you step over when getting in) meets the floor, press very hard (assuming you are not allowed to remove the carpet and the bitumenised wadding) along its whole length: if thats sound, check the insides of the panels at each corner which get hit in an accident, for deformation: as previously said, body condition is crucial.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

robert e gwaltney wrote:Adam, its looking good, what color interior r u going with, my silver B coupe is silver with black but was toying with the idea of going with green or wine colored leather? thanks, robb g
I'm leaving the interior alone, it's one of the only thing I've gotten lots of compliments on.
I am going with a black top.
Attachments
avi356.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#45 Post by Martin Benade »

Adam, here is one more compliment - Cute kid!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna