shock absorbers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug Tamura
356 Fan

shock absorbers

#1 Post by Doug Tamura »

I am new to the forum, I own a 1962 1600 super. It feels like my shocks need replaced. I need a recommendation, on the type and brand of shock absorbers I need to order to replace my existing shocks.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: shock absorbers

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Boge are fine and cheapest. I really like Bilstein and some swear by Koni. Some like KYB but I have never had those.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Doug, my 2 cents is that 356 suspensions were not designed for gas-filled shocks. Some/most of them push the ride height up, not good for handling, and all ride needlessly rough. I know where there is a box with two sets of gas KYB and Bilsteins you can have for free, just sign a waiver holding me harmless.
Boge work great on the street. Koni have been trendy for years, cost more, work about the same.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think it all depends upon the feel of the ride you want. We all have our personal preferences.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doug; welcome aboard and listen to Craig. +1

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And if you decide to go Koni set them to the soft setting for street. Boge were original with Koni as a factory option. And Craig and Vic have been 356ers since before I could drive and I am 68.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug Tamura
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug Tamura »

Craig Richter wrote:Doug, my 2 cents is that 356 suspensions were not designed for gas-filled shocks. Some/most of them push the ride height up, not good for handling, and all ride needlessly rough. I know where there is a box with two sets of gas KYB and Bilsteins you can have for free, just sign a waiver holding me harmless.
Boge work great on the street. Koni have been trendy for years, cost more, work about the same.

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

shock absorbers

#8 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Welcome to the list, Doug. I am using Monroe shocks on my car, non-gas units, and am happy with their performance. Painted Koni orange for the fun of it. I've had Konis, too, which are adjustable, but have a rougher ride. Craig's offer is quite generous. Try copping a ride with locals who have various shock types. You might get offers if you enter your location.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

KONI. Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Welcome Doug. As you gain familiarity with those of us who frequent this forum, you will recognize Vic, Craig, and Jim as truly the elders (in 356 years/experience) and among those who have seen it all.

I have used Bilstein, Boge and Koni with good experience. As Craig notes, being gas pressure shocks the Bilstein's will require that you reset your suspension, which is an additional step and cost added to the shock replacement. Personally, I like the Koni's because they are adjustable and over time you can compensate for wear by the adjustments.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#11 Post by Thomas Sottile »

standard oil shocks are just filled with oil, when they heat up the oil gets foamy with little gas bubbles and the shock rate changes. gas shocks have nitrogen inside them to exert pressure on the oil and prevent it from foaming up.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Wildrick »

I've had KYB GR2 non-adjustable gas shocks on both of my C coupes for about 18 years now and have experienced no rough ride or other problems.
I've been following 356talk since 1997, and the only complaints I've seen so far about KYB gas shocks are from folks who bought the ADJUSTABLE ones, which are said to lift the suspension and ride rough (right Steve Proctor?).
Being happy with the shocks I've got, I haven't seen the need to change to another brand.
It's kind of like tire choices. No single brand or size makes everyone happy.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Doug, my 62-3 came with the original shocks in boxes. They can be rebuilt, at a cost. On the fronts were a set of tired Munroe shocks and the rear had new Koni reds, set full soft. I bought some BOGE shocks (oil) for the front and the difference in responsiveness and handling is noticeable. I was only using the BOGEs as they were well priced and quickly available to me, but I won't be changing them soon.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#14 Post by DonCichocki »

+1 on KYB's, very happy with ride quality. New designation is "Excel", very reasonably priced. Front # 343144, rear # 343147. Try "RockAuto.Com".

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#15 Post by Mark Roth »

It also depends on which tires you use. I used to run Boge/Sachs shocks with 185/65 Kuhmo tires on 5.5 rims and was quite happy. 26f/30r. Then Kuhmos were NLA when I needed them so I got Generals because they were highly rated on Tire Rack. Big mistake. Didn’t like the handling. Tires didn’t flex. I took a leap last year and bought the new pricey Pirelli CN36 185/70s. Soft tires with taller sidewalls. Had to experiment on the tire pressures as each pound in the front/rear made a difference. Ended up at 24f/29r. Shortly thereafter, drove the Hill Country Rallye last year balls to the wall. The Pirellis and the Sachs felt like mush. Wasn’t happy. So I put on Konis at two half turns from soft. Now I could feel the road again. Wasn’t a harsh ride. Drove this year’s HCR BTTW again and had a blast. Perfect handling keeping up with the 911s.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)