RSR 0012 Distributor timing

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Strickler
356 Fan

RSR 0012 Distributor timing

#1 Post by Bob Strickler »

I have a 356 with a RSR 0012 distributor with a PerTronix ignitor in a 1600 CC (with a stock super cam). I saw some information that the static timing could be set at 2-4 degrees (vs. the normal 5 degrees). Is this correct ? How should I proceed with a dynamic (strobe) timing at say 3,000 rpm. ? Thank you, Bob Strickler 1953 Cab.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

Re: RSR 0012 Distributor timing

#2 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Bob,

You might want to contact John Benton-he makes these distributors.

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Strickler »

Than you. I am waiting for his return call.... Bob

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Craig Richter »

Bob, Those RSR's have not been available for years, and I've been running one complete with Pertronix (although in 12v) in the b-in-law's S90 for years. My experience, works absolutely great! As I remember (always a dodgy caveat these days) a company in Costa Mesa (John Benton I presume) took 009's and changed the advance curve to at least near 356 specs, made a batch that sold out quickly through Sierra Madre, but didn't make any more. Easy to guess that not good enough profit margin.
I've popped mine in and out for a known good 020 many times, and felt no difference in performance. I do suggest that whenever installing a new distributor, set the high-speed timing first and don't worry so much where the static number falls. Get it to idle with the carb adjustments. If the distributor doesn't have enough built-in timing, you'll have a hard time getting the idle speed to slow down. Nobody ever burnt down a motor because the idle advance wasn't perfect. Have fun!

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Strickler »

Craig, Thank you That seems smart to set the high speed first. I have a
curve chart that I found through previous posts on the Registry. The chart
shows that the RSR literally flattens out to 30 degrees at 2600 rpm. That
seems instructive for setting the high speed timing in that once you
reach 30 you need not try to go any further. Right? Bob

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Craig,

You may be right, however, word on the street is that he stopped making them because the supply of German cores dried up and the Chinese copies, that somebody else uses to make BR19/022 "clones", are low grade poop.

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bob Strickler »

Tim, Thanx for the info. I'm always looking for a way to get a little more poop in my car. :) Bob

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#8 Post by Craig Richter »

Bob, No wonder the RSR performs so well, 30* @ 2600 is about perfect in my world. Just a little bit faster than stock spec. Set the high-speed to 35* (any speed over 2600rpm should work, but I'd buzz it a little higher just to make sure the advance is really all in). That should give you 5* static, the perfect advance number to get a smooth 900rpm idle with a basically stock motor. There are some more timing tricks you could try, but I'll let the other tuners chime in now...

Tim, I like your story better. Too bad.

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Strickler »

Craig, thank you. I'll give it a try. I usually have set the advance a little lower than that for fear of heat issues (I live in Tucson) but I will watch my plug color.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#10 Post by Craig Richter »

Bob, that's a common misconception about heat production in our motors: retard the timing = less heat. My testing shows the opposite is normally true. The factory 35-37* works best, unless you have changed a lot of the specs inside your motor, especially the compression ratio. Several of our regulars here can (and hopefully will) explain this better than I can.
Plug reading seems also a technique of the past, at least with the gas we get today where I live. This ethanol-laced fuel burns so cleanly there is no meaningful plug coloring unless your mixtures are way, way off. The upside is that plugs last much, much longer.

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bob Strickler »

Craig, Thank you again. I was aware of the new gas/plug reading issue. As I understand it they can darken at low RPMS because of the usually rich idle mixture. (I'm running Zeniths) But, if you shut it down immediately after a 3500 rpm run you should be able to spot a white or black plug if you have an issue. Although this probably relates more to carburetor settings than timing. ?? Bob