Repainting sound deadening orginal material

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Art Kendall
356 Fan

Repainting sound deadening orginal material

#1 Post by Art Kendall »

I am in the process of wanting to repaint the sound deadening material in the rear engine area, and have done some test spots. It is all original, in very good shape, but needs some TLC. My guess is it has the original coating, I have cleaned it with solvent, and then washed off any residue with a water solution.

I tested a couple areas with Tremclad semi-gloss black, both brush applied and spray to see if the finish is any different. One thing I noted in the one area, where I used the spray, there seems to be some cracking of the paint. It is not that noticeable, and I am not sure if it was there before. Maybe I applied the spray too thick, or there was still some grease below it. The brush applied area was fine.

This is the 1/2" thick material on the back behind the motor, and there is the thinner, tar paper material on the sides, and front inside.

It may be isolated, but I would appreciate any input from others who have done this job.

I was searching the data base, but could not find anything in the archives, but do remember seeing something years ago. Seems to me I recall others using the Tremclad paint.

Also recall someone using a semi-gloss black water based paint for coating original material.

Thanks
ak
Art Kendall
Vancouver, BC, Canada
63 B sunroof coupe
#124949/ivory/black
Member 17242

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Repainting sound deadening orginal material

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I searched and used Satin Black Rustoleum when I did mine. Other have mentioned various materials including Stencil ink and undercoating. If it looks right then it is right is my motto. But I don't show my car.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Hamlin »

I have used a plastic roof cement thinned to thick paint consistency, and it looks exactly like the finish on the original sound insulation on my C coupe.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

On late Bs and Cs, I wonder if there is s difference between Karmann and Ruetter/Porsche.
I ask, since I got the kit from The Parts Shop when they were offing it, and it was a dead-on match for the protected parts I removed from my Karmann C.
But there are photos of some other pretty authentic originals which are flatter.
With the current 'troubles', we'll see if the picture will load:
First, the site is still limited to what your phone takes; the 'large' one was prohibited as too large.
And then a section of it wouldn't load anyhow.
Use your imagination.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Art Kendall
356 Fan

#5 Post by Art Kendall »

Ned Hamlin wrote:I have used a plastic roof cement thinned to thick paint consistency, and it looks exactly like the finish on the original sound insulation on my C coupe.

Ned, thanks as I had never heard of this product being used. I am assuming that you applied this manually with a brush or something similar. Spraying is probably not necessary, as the original is actually quite rough especially in the area behind the motor.ak
Art Kendall
Vancouver, BC, Canada
63 B sunroof coupe
#124949/ivory/black
Member 17242

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

For my C cab's original engine compartment bulkhead and floor mats, I used a thinned flat black acrylic applied with a brush as a touch-up which matched the original finish. (Had attempted to provide photos, hoping site difficulties remedied.)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I searched and used Satin Black Rustoleum when I did mine. Other have mentioned various materials including Stencil ink and undercoating. If it looks right then it is right is my motto. But I don't show my car.
I'm a big fan of Rustoleum, it's cheap, readily available. I would try this first, if you aren't happy with the results you can go more fancy, but I bet you'll be ok with it. But you have to put it on with the brush, not the spray can.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

Rustoleum Satin on all mine. ................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Art Kendall
356 Fan

#9 Post by Art Kendall »

Adam Wright wrote:
Doug McDonnell wrote:I searched and used Satin Black Rustoleum when I did mine. Other have mentioned various materials including Stencil ink and undercoating. If it looks right then it is right is my motto. But I don't show my car.
I'm a big fan of Rustoleum, it's cheap, readily available. I would try this first, if you aren't happy with the results you can go more fancy, but I bet you'll be ok with it. But you have to put it on with the brush, not the spray can.
Thanks Adam & all. Looks like it is Rusteum, and brushing it on will probably have better adhesive qualities also.
Art Kendall
Vancouver, BC, Canada
63 B sunroof coupe
#124949/ivory/black
Member 17242

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Art Kendall wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Thanks Adam & all. Looks like it is Rusteum, and brushing it on will probably have better adhesive qualities also.
One last piece of advice, the paint is very thick so stir the can with something that can hit the bottom, and then stir some more, and then a little more. I do 30 stirs clockwise, and then 30 turns counter-clockwise. It's a great product, but very thick when mixed. Also, make sure you're well ventilated, it's stinky stuff, even without aerosol. And double up on the gloves, once it soaks into your hand it doesn't want to come off.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doug McDonnell »

It is thick and does eventually wear off your hands. I used a sponge brush.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.