Electric Fuel Pump Problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob DiCorpo
356 Fan

Electric Fuel Pump Problem

#1 Post by Bob DiCorpo »

I know that many of you have installed electric fuel pumps in your 356's as have I. I only use mine for priming when I start the car when it hasn't been started for awhile. The other day I was attempting to do just that, when the pump seemed to just flat line on me. Then I realized that my fuel cock handle was still in the off position. The pump still makes a very soft humming sound, when I flick on my toggle switch, so I know it getting power, but nothing like the sound it makes when pumping fuel through it.
Does this sound like a diaphragm problem, and if so is it an easy fix? The pump is the same as the one sold by Brad at NLA. Thank you, Bob
Bob DiCorpo
'56 Speedster
Massachusetts 

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Problem

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

So it's not pumping, Bob? I'd double-check the petcock position, fuel lines, etc. I haven't opened an electric fuel pump to see if it's rebuildable. Maybe someone else has and will weigh in.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob DiCorpo
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob DiCorpo »

Thanks Mike. I think I'll just order another one. They're under $40 on Amazon Prime and having an expert changing the diaphragm on mine would probably cost more than that. Thanks for your email. Bob (where the temp. has finally risen past 55 degrees)
Bob DiCorpo
'56 Speedster
Massachusetts 

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Mike asks if you had checked the output. I would, before spending money on another one.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad to hear the weather is warming up, Bob. I know a lot of you guys are having very fickle weather. Here's hoping you get decent driving weather soon!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

This sounds a little crazy but if it is a T5 or older you could put a towel over the fuel tank fill hole and pressurize it with lung power while the pump is running. Sort of a pressure prime. It might get the idea and start working perfectly. I think there may be an air vent on the tank that you could block off while you do this.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Erik Thomas »

Bob:

You could try rapping on the side of the fuel pump with a hammer.. British car style. Might just be stiff from sitting all winter.
Also , might want to check the sediment bowl to make sure everything is clean. Hopefully the salt is off the roads for good now.