Number of clicks BACK when adjusting the brakes on a 356B

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Giganti
356 Fan

Number of clicks BACK when adjusting the brakes on a 356B

#1 Post by Paul Giganti »

I've been adjusting the click wheels in my drum brakes until my wheel and tire won't turn by hand, then backing off the click wheels seven clicks. I was wondering if that's what everybody else also does seven or more or less? My brake peddle has always gone farther to the floorboard than I would like—even after I've added new shoes, new cylinders, rebuild the master cylinder, and bleed the brakes to the point where no air is coming out. Stops fine, just wish the peddle was higher on a firm push.

I don't want to make the shoes too tight in the drums; I had a problem with one wheel sticking solid while just sitting for a couple weeks—yes, I know, I should drive it more often! But just thought maybe on my specific car with its particular set of brake variables maybe seven clicks loosen off tight were too many.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Number of clicks BACK when adjusting the brakes on a 356

#2 Post by David Jones »

Paul, as you say it partly depends on where you like the brake pedal. I like a firm pedal and I adjust my brakes cold so that I can feel them touch after I adjust them. I also thump the pedal a few times after each round of adjustments. Sometimes I will make three separate adjustments before they feel right. I usually end up with less than 7 clicks but 3 may be a little tight. Once adjusted go for a test drive and hit them hard a few times then come home and jack the car up and see how the wheels spin. Usually you will find them turning easier because the drums will have expanded away from the shoes. Check the drum temps with an IR gun and if one is much hotter than the others then back off that one a click as it may be adjusted too close.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#3 Post by Paul Lima »

This is a very good question and you'll find MANY posts on the Registry on the subject. Here are a few of my comments: (1) it helps a lot if you are using this method to press the brake pedal several times hard after making the first adjustment, then repeat the adjustment for that wheel again. Pressing the brakes helps get the shoes realigned with the drum after making that first adjustment. And (2) there is an alternative method suggested which claims to get better results. I've not used it (yet) since the method as modified above has worked well for me, but here it is
Attachments
Adjusting 356 Drum Brakes.pdf
(660.12 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

2 or 3 clicks is usually enough to get the wheel to turn a full turn without any friction. A tiny drag that is audible but offers no resistance if fine.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

I use two, but will go depress the pedal a couple times and check the shoes are centered, the tighten them until they lock, then back two clicks. I do this to each wheel. Then go do the hands off panic stop at 25mph. Has always worked.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965