Makes noise when turning right !

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Lawrence
356 Fan

Re: Makes noise when turning right !

#16 Post by David Lawrence »

Nice call CJ.

It just so happens that when I took my 64C out of storage on Tuesday May1, I found the same problem on the same side.
John, maybe our two vehicles are related is some "quantum entanglement" way. :P.

I intend to replace the bearing myself so I check the service manual and noticed that they show a bearing removal tool VW 241a for removal.
My question, is the bearing removable without this tool?
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#17 Post by C J Murray »

Often the bearings are just loose and only need adjustment to get quiet. If the bearings have not been re-packed with grease for a long time then you should remove the roller assemblies and carefully inspect the rollers and the races for scoring or signs of impact. If they look good just wash them and pack them with grease. If you are careful you can sometimes reuse the seal but seals are cheap and you should change them. Repacking wheel bearings was normal service when the cars were new.

Wheel bearings and seals should be available at your local auto parts store or bearing house, I think.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#18 Post by David Lawrence »

CJ, I should have been a little more detailed on this. I am referring to the second diagnosis which was:
Further test drive with mechanic in passenger seat confirmed rear LH wheel was the source
. After viewing the crosssectional drawing in the service manual it appears to me that a bearing/gear puller of some type is needed.
David Lawrence #1087

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Wildrick »

The right way to remove the rear wheel bearing is with the tool from Stoddard's, which will set you back close to $480 (puller and collet combination): T55-110-242-00 Rear Wheel Bearing Removal Tool. Used with T55-110-243-00 Collet.

I have not seen the VW tool VW 241a, but I believe they are scarce and only work with the 8-ball rear bearing, whereas the Stoddard tool pulls on the inner race and cares not how many ball bearings are in there.

I once removed a rear wheel bearing with a Dremel tool, using a grinding stone to bore a hole between the 2 bearing races until the hole was large enough to allow the balls to come out one-by-one. Then it was easy to bang and clang on the empty races to remove them.

Obviously, folks who have the expensive tool will sneer at this method. So it should preferably only be used in an emergency--financial or otherwise.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#20 Post by David Lawrence »

Thanks Dave.
I am not willing to spend the $480 for a tool that I would only use once . I will put some more thought into this before I start the "Dremel, bang and clang" method.
David Lawrence #1087

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#21 Post by JohnLiles »

David Lawrence wrote:Nice call CJ.

It just so happens that when I took my 64C out of storage on Tuesday May1, I found the same problem on the same side.
John, maybe our two vehicles are related is some "quantum entanglement" way. :P.

I intend to replace the bearing myself so I check the service manual and noticed that they show a bearing removal tool VW 241a for removal.
My question, is the bearing removable without this tool?
Hi David , just catching up on your post !
The quantum entanglement is a likely cause and no one can prove otherwise.

As for removing the rear hub bearing I did this a couple of times back in 1972 when a bent half shaft was causing quick bearing failure. I used an old puller with 3 legs , not a special tool , and do not remember how
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I had an issue like this on my coupe recently. After a spirited drive it started to make a strange noise at slower speed coming from the one of the rear wheels (which I was worried was metal on metal). It was more likely to happen when turning right. I nursed home after checking the axle nut and wheel. I couldn't find any play in the wheels but I found that my right brake was much too tight. I adjusted both rear brakes (and changed the gearbox oil while underneath). The noise hasn't come back.