Engine concern

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jackallensmith
356 Fan

Engine concern

#1 Post by Jackallensmith »

Just started up my ‘58 coupe after a couple months of sittin in the garage. Lots of water from left tailpipe, white smoke from both, rough idle and drive (almost like running on 3 cylinders).

Any thoughts about why this could be. Ran perfectly when last parked.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Engine concern

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

how old is the fuel in the tank?
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

How full/empty was your tank when you put it away?
Bruce Smith

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Water is a normal product of combustion but it should clear up once the engine is warm. I would be inclined to suspect a plugged idle jet because the car probably sat long enough for the fuel to evaporate and possibly leave some residue in a jet. Buy an infra red temp sensor gun such as this.
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermom ... B002OD0NCG
Start the engine and allow it to run for at least 30 seconds then point the gun at each exhaust pipe in turn. For the front pipes compare side to side #1 to #3 where they exit the heat exchangers Look up to where the rear pipes exit the head and before they enter the muffler and compare the two readings from #2 and #4. If the cylinder is not firing the reading will be at ambient temp or close to. Once you know which cylinder is down you can quickly fix your issue whether it be a jet or a bad plug or plug wire.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Also, Harbor Freight has a gun to check (exhaust pipe) heat temps, and possible failed plug terminal being dead; Check both ends of the wire lead for corrosion--especially if the distributor cap socket(s) and the "spiked-type' brass clip are crusty.