Paint stripping questions etc.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Paint stripping questions etc.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
This likely has been covered before but I need updated info from people that have done paint stripping themselves.
If I were to remove most the parts and bits to save some labor, and I'd like to strip most the paint off my self.
1) liquid paint strippers? Toxic and messy. I'd need a mask at least to avoid inhaling the fumes. Which brand product to use? Start at top and work down or panel by panel?
2) orbital sanders? Also messy but quicker. What is the diminishing grades of sandpaper to use? Speedster likely has at least four different paints underneath.If I'm careful and prudent what should I be worried about? Can sanding too hard/deep, at angle etc cause metal damage?
Once most the paint is stripped can I apply a sealer to prevent surface rust in lieu of pro paint at a later time? What brand, liquid or spray application? Or better to take raw car to paint shop and have them apply sealer?
When the time comes for paint I guess then I would remove the windshield etc and gauges and drive car to painter right?
I'm not in a position to completely strip this car down to body only. When time is right for paint the wheels will come off and interior and engine will be masked off. I assume the hood,deck lid, and doors will come off.
I'm weary of dipping or blasting sand or shells etc.
This may not happen for a while but I appreciate input and perhaps will tackle this at some point in time.
Regards,
Steve

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Paint stripping questions etc.

#2 Post by John Brooks »

I just helped do a C coupe. A good dual action sanders, a roll of 80 grit PSA and another of 240 will do it. Finish with 400. A good vacuum cleaner, and one of the cheap cyclone separators for the dust. It will take 4-5 hours to remove the paint. Does not stretch the skin like blasting, and won't get all over the place like stripper. 80 goes through the top coat pretty fast with out reshaping the metal.

It's a big job, get a case of self etching primer to cover the bare spots after removing the paint, keep it warm and dry. Get you paint and tape from a Refinishing supplier, not a box store. Remove the glass, doors hood and deck lid. Do them off the car for a better strip, then reinstall for blocking and finish prime..

This coupe was a couple months, start to stop. Not too bad for a two old guys DYI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQtIFKXhvo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by John Brooks on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Hermage Coward
356 Fan

#3 Post by Hermage Coward »

I have stripped three cars using a single edge razor blade in a scraper handle. There is no chemical mess to deal with and the paint chips don't even fill a plastic grocery bag. I did one 356 in five or six hours.

Hermage

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Every time I stripped a car I vowed to myself never to do another one. It's a real pain. Being a slow learner, this has happened multiple times.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#5 Post by Tom Perazzo »

Hi Steve,
I've stripped an entire 356 in a day using the tools I wrote about in the blog below. Sometimes I soften the paint with aircraft stripper which also keeps the dust down. Don't let the stripper get into any seams, so tape them off first.

http://ahhgaragetime.com/project-porsch ... te-fender/

Good luck,
Tom

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com