Best Source for Quality Spark Plug Wire Set

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Best Source for Quality Spark Plug Wire Set

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

Need to replace my aging spark plug wires on 63B T6 Coupe. Best brand and source?
Conrad

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Best Source for Quality Spark Plug Wire Set

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Stoddard has the proper lengths of lead wire and the distributor ends used to be soldered; Later, the core wire is folded back under the metal ends and not 'spiked' like the early days. However, the OEM type Beru BE4 terminals were discontinued after some failures and now come w/the long version. Using the short VW Bosch terminals, they're difficult to remove when the seals harden and get stuck in the side cover plates--sometimes the seals may be smaller in diameter and since the short terminals are tapered, the seals may leak air!

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#3 Post by Heidi Frances »

I've had good luck with a set from Sierra Madre. The ones from Stoddard only lasted a couple years... Neat way to test your wires is to drive to a completely dark place (if your garage works than even better) and under complete darkness (be safe with other cars), turn off your lights and look into the engine bay. If you have an issue, you'll be distracted by an occasional blue flash. Keep looking and you'll find it. Mine was the coil wire to the distributor cap.

Franny

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#4 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Having rebuilt a fair number of engines recently, I have had good luck with Stoddard.
There are a couple of options.
Call Paul at Stoddard, order the “long neck” full set version. They come with all the little rubber things.
Tell Paul Roger sent you.
Don’t get cheap. You will not be disappointed.
Any way, Sierra Madre probably gets their sets from Stoddard.
Roger Shapiro