Where is the "parts to take on a road trip" write up again?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

Where is the "parts to take on a road trip" write up again?

#1 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Hey all,
My wife and I are starting to plan a road trip for this summer. I looked in the resources tab at the top and cannot locate the write up with the spare parts suggested to take. Anyone know where that went or have a copy?

Otherwise, anyone have suggestions what they would take? We hope to take out 56 coupe over the 64 coupe, are not terribly mechanical, but will get the car as squared away and tested as possible before going.

Will plan on doing tune ups along the way as needed, new belts, plugs, things along those lines. What else would be on your must have list?

Thanks for the suggestions! When we get a semblance of a route down i'll start a thread about it.

Cheers,
Rhys
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: Where is the "parts to take on a road trip" write up aga

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Hi Rhys. I have a copy of this 356CAR article/list that I use to prepare for longer trips. I'll attach it for you.

The longest trip I'll have taken in my 356 will be to the ECH this year in Ocean City, NJ. Looking forward to it, and will be using this article again and taking the summer to prepare and build my spares up.

I haven't gone as far as including a spare distributor or spare generator in my spares kit yet, but based on the number of failures I've heard from fellow owners, it might not be a bad idea. I need to get a roof rack to carry my spares box at that point!
Attachments
356Trip_Spares_&_Tools.pdf
(490.94 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

I have written several list over the years as far as spare parts/tools to carry onboard for your 356, my list has shrunk from carrying a couple boxes of stuff that never got used to a single shoe box of stuff, along with some stuff stuck into to the "nooks and crannies". Most stay in the car and are dedicated for that car, but should be checked now and then to make sure that they are still in useable condition.
It all depends upon your expertise and inherent problems of you car, and the list are guidelines. I have found that our cars are very dependable, low-tech, and that most of the times I have used the tools and parts were often for other people’s 356s, on drives and at events.
Nowadays you should have a tow service card (AAA), cell phone (major brand carrier) and if you are going into areas of no cell service a small handheld CB radio/list of trucker frequencies plus CH9.
Repair shops that know and have parts for our cars are rare, thus fellow 356 people are a great resource, make a contact list of people/repair shops (ones that repair "Vintage" Porsche and VW) along your route, (do an internet search for shops in towns where you will be traveling) along with the Registry TAN list. Most towns have an auto parts store/Walmart/etc. to get greases, oils and basic stuff.
An Elfrink shop book. On a tablet/notebook download and save (you may not have internet): the appropriate Porsche (PET) parts book, wire diagram, listing/links of vendors that can ship overnight, and the “TAN”

First off I make sure to do some preventive measures before leaving: checking the generator bushes, Tune up the car, checking ignition, (but not replacing the condenser as the new ones are failing), check for gas and oil leaks, clean the battery cables and connections, look at the fan belt, and check the lights.

All Important: Fire Extinguisher and Flashlight where you can get to fast.

Parts I carry: Fan Belt, Generator hub/spacer shims/pulley halves, spare distributor (with hold down in correct position) ( or: tune up parts: points/ cap/ rotor/insulation kit/good condenser), correct carb gasket set, extra banjo o-rings, spare fuel filter (if you have one), fuel pump diaphragm, oil filter lines/ferrels, filter cover gasket, and spare o-ring for nut, Valve cover gaskets, assorted bolts, screws, and nuts, 4’ of fuel hose and 2 clamps, assorted fuses, 20 feet (aprox) of #14 awg. wire, electrical crimp terminals, big and small alligator clips (2 pair each), 2 Spark Plugs, 1 Spark plug end (screw on), small roll of duct tape, electrical tape, spare tire in a can, spare lug nut, small roll of tie wire, permatex (or what ever brand of non hardening gasket sealer), short length of kite string (along with sealer makes o rings etc), I use a soup can to store stuff in plus if to have an A/B it will fit into the gas tank to scoop out gas for cleaning or priming (later cars use the 4’ fuel hose as a syphon.

Tools I carry: 3/8 socket set (with a spark plug socket that fits our plugs), 3 sizes of 3/8 extensions with wobble ends (Harbor Freight), combination wrenches 6-19mm, open end wrenches 10, 12,13,14,17, 6mm allen wrench, or, two of the thin 22/27mm wrenches (for wheel bearings), Jack (944 style works well), Wheel Lug wrench, Fan pulley wrench 36mm, Screw driver selection (both philips and slotted (one big enough to use for holding generator pulley and adjusting brakes), Feeler gauges, Pliers, medium sized channel lock pliers, medium size vise grips, wire cutter/crimper, pocket knife, screw starter/holder (I like the Klein/Vaco split shaft - small and medium sizes), Philips screw starter/holder with magnetic end (again Klein), long flex shaft magnet, small extendable inspection mirror, LED headlight (the type used for camping w/ spare battery), Volt/Ohm meter w/alligator clip ends, small test light, small tube quick set epoxy glue, a few rags and paper towels, hand cleaner, small spray can of WD-40, small can of compressed air, plastic gloves, mechanics gloves (for hot things). plastic sheet or big garbage bag to lay on or as rain ware, basic first aid kit.
Optional: if you have H-4 headlights a spare bulb, along with correct tail and brake light bulbs. Wiper Blades, waterless car wash, a couple zip lock bags. Trickle battery charger. Wood Blocks (2X4X8) as wheel chocks/jack base.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#4 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Thanks for the reply guys! I will try to get a detailed list together of what we take to be able to share as well.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Sean, don't forget the space under the passenger floor board. I get a spare generator, distributor w/cap, fan belt, voltage reg. and more tucked away there. In fact I no longer remove those when I'm not travelling - it's the permanent storage for those. I've had to make up an inventory list for that as I find ways to stuff more into it.

Tom Tate, Don Cichocki, and I are organizing the Autocross at ECH2018. Hope we see you out on the the course.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan
Tag: 356 not just a number

#6 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Hello Steve

I was just about to post a copy of your list from 356CAR Fall-Winter 1993 magazine
I found a copy in my B T5 which I imported from California nearly 3 years ago.
I carry all these tools & parts in my car all the time in a small plastic tool box which is about the size of a shoe box.

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Maybe the most important "tool" of all is a AAA Membership and Card. The top offering covers a 200 mile flatbed ride. That has been used more than once by someone or other on drives/road trips I've been on.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Sottile »

cell phone, 6 volt electric Volt meter

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

"... not replacing the condenser as the new ones are failing..." +1 on Steve's comment. If you can score a German made Bosch condenser then you are golden. The Turkish ones, to be charitable, are (crap). If you don't have a German one I would bring 3 spares. Twice I have had condensers fail with no warning--like hitting a kill button. I would also carry a 1/4" drive ratchet wrench with at least a 7 mm socket (take the whole set, what the hell) to remove/replace the condenser. The magnet tool is another excellent recommendation. Good luck, and have fun, Rhys and Karisa.

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#10 Post by James Learmonth »

Join the Travel Assistance Network and keep their list close by. VIVA paper towels that are impregnated with DAWN dish washing detergent are great for cleanup along with a spray bottle of water. American Express card and the willingness to explore a strange town while waiting for Stoddard to send parts overnight air.

Jim Learmonth
65C Coupe.
Houston, TX

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Keating »

Be sure to have wheel bearings at least for the front. If taking the 64,take a 6mm allen wrench to loosen the spindle nut.
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hi All, I received a few private message suggesting other parts, such as generator bearings/brushes, wheel bearing and seals, voltage regulators and complete generators. I realize that these do fail, I yet to have any of these have problems, most towns have a shop that rebuild generators and would have the bearings, and in the past I carried a spare regulator, but if the belt isn't too tight, and the regulator is working good and clean you should be safe. When on a trip you are driving daily so the battery is kept charged and not over tasking the parts, you can always buy a battery charger and extra battery to get you a long ways with out a functioning generator.
Just remember that touring in a 356 is an adventure, one that will have memories that last a lifetime. Not just hopping in a car and driving to point "B", driving a 356 will allow encounters and may open doors that otherwise are closed, people want talk about when they had a 356 or a VW, or the time when......
The most important thing is generating contracts with other 356 owners. Reach out to them prior, they might even help you find some "special" places to visit along the way. Not only for piece of mind that there is a "safety net" close at hand, you might find new friends too.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

Confession: I do not have a 'smart phone'
So I take the phone I do have, a credit card, and the AAA phone number. Being of a certain age, I'll trade a ride to the nearest decent-sized city for crawling under the car if required. In that city, you'll have access to the Registry one way or the other.
And if you've kept the car in decent shape, there's little chance you should need any of this.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz