STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

Re: STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

#31 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

Steven Murray wrote:I see you show the VIN via the COA - shouldn't you post in the registy's VIN lookup here that the car is stolen? I did a lookup and unlike some cars there are not owner comments or details on this car.
I am attempting to do this now, but am having a bit of difficulty, as all the ID#'s get "erased" when I hit wrong button, as soon as I've figured it out it will be there.
Please be patient, as I am as eager to get it on here.
TIA, Jay Putnam,
Former 30 year member

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#32 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

C J Murray wrote:Another lesson to be learned here is, pay your tax and get a title in your name as proof of ownership. Many race cars do not even have a title and haven't had for many years and that is a risk. A bill of sale is ok but when you sell the car there is no paper trail whereas a title can be traced from owner to owner. Titles that have not been at least marked with the name of the buyer and signed by both parties are just proof that the seller still owns the car. A title signed over by a spouse or such of the seller using the seller/owner "signature" is fraud and criminal by both the signer and the buyer and the titled owner still owns the car. A title with a unsatisfied lien shown is owned by the finance company and can't be sold by the "owner" on the title.

I think the last 20 years of selling and buying thousands of motorcycles has taught me a lot about the sloppiness and outright fraud that goes on, but I'm sure I'm not done learning. The only way to keep from having problems is to do all vehicle ownership changes by the book.
I would have never seen it that way (my car was junk yard bound when I bought it) obviously, that changed when I bought it, in a million years, I wouldnt have dreamed of this night mare scenario playing out in real time right before my eyes.
Worst part is Im in the leading role of a really "scary" movie.
Thanks for the advice, and being kind about it.
Jay Putnam

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#33 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

Martin Benade wrote:If you have plenty of money one thought is to buy it and then fight for justice, while having very low expectations. I know I could not afford to handle it that way.
Thats the problem in a nutshell, that is why I did try to buy it back, and go after the bad guy. I p'od The current person whom has it, presumably because once I revealed it was stolen, and who I was, well the rest should be obvious, he wont return calls, I am not 'After" him but the guy whom took it and sold it to Alan Howes...
The Police Dept that "presides" over the small town in which it was stolen( kinda like Mayberry) well I ended up with Barney Fife, with and attitude. So, Judge, Jury etc. Basically refused to take the report, which is Illegal. Having said that, what else is there to say. My attorney is far from Cheap ( you get what you pay for ) I have to liquidate some things.
At one time I had more than enough money, A few surgeries later, and I dont have the proverbial pot to piss in. Its not that bad, but wifey poo, and I say the house comes first, and we lost a fight with a hurricane, so that's that. The price of living in Paradise. The land of pirates and 12,000 Deductibles. No guys, the 401k is off limits, as is a home equity loan.
Know of any remotely located 7-Elevens? LOL, KIDDING!
Jay Putnam.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#34 Post by Martin Benade »

At least in Florida you have no front license plate. In Ohio if you are going to knock off a 7-Eleven, the first rule is to remove your front plate so it won't show up in the security footage (So I hear).
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#35 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

Martin Benade wrote:At least in Florida you have no front license plate. In Ohio if you are going to knock off a 7-Eleven, the first rule is to remove your front plate so it won't show up in the security footage (So I hear).
Har Har Har.
My get away car isnt registered, I was actually thinking of using a horse!
:D

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#36 Post by Daniel Roman »

I don't know if this will help, but I would get the word out to as many people as possible that the car was stolen. I would list it on every forum I could think of. If the current owner can be found on social media I would comment there as well. Come after him from every free source available to you. Then keep refreshing the information to keep it current in everyone's mind.
TWEETS Restorations -- For all of your lock and key needs
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
Member: 914World 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba Early911sRegistry 912bbs Rennlist

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#37 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

Daniel Roman wrote:I don't know if this will help, but I would get the word out to as many people as possible that the car was stolen. I would list it on every forum I could think of. If the current owner can be found on social media I would comment there as well. Come after him from every free source available to you. Then keep refreshing the information to keep it current in everyone's mind.
I did, it has worked on 2 of 3 sites, the butt chewing I got on pelican parts, tho, was quite discouraging. I can only say so much, as it is going probably going to a civil matter no matter how I or anyone else sees it. So Im plugging away, I know the chain of custody, up to the current owner. I have contacted him, but that didnt go well, for all the reasons you could imagine, the guy that stole it lies better than I can tell the truth. I have attempted to locate the original seller, but havent seen him since 1990, it was last titled in Wa State in 1975, sold to me in New England. So ...
Its time to line up witnesses, and blow some money, it is at this point a matter of right and wrong. There is procedure for these things to take place legally, but none of that was done, also there can only be one authentic bill of sale, and I posses it, the rest are forgeries, and my handwriting is impossible to forge, and they have nothing to "copy". The lag in reporting it is the easiest thing to explain, and is a point many are hung up on. I started to move home/shop approx 1 of 2013, moving ( from Mass to Florida, one load at a time, by myself).. shop equipment, and house hold goods, which goes first? Ask my wife, what goes second, ask my wife ( I was moving alone, approx. 3 weeks round trip if you have no trouble. Winter + New England = lots of driving. After my second run south, in the middle of it all. I return North for another load to take South and thats when I noticed it missing, the best I can give them is approximately a 3 week window, as I am not positive it wasnt missing from the yard, the first time I came back up, It wasnt until I was actually going to load the car it I am certain it was missing. So after processing what had happened, shock, denial what ever, I tried to figure out the next thing to do so I called the cops, in April 2013. On top of that the, Police added insult to injury as I couldnt tell them "exactly" when it was stolen, they would not take the police report. So according to some, I have said to much already, especially my attorney, which I dont fully understand
as the truth is supposed to "set you free". Thanks for the advice, and kind thoughts, Jay Putnam