STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

#1 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

356_photo_31465741469.jpg
Hello all, the worst thing (Almost) you will ever utter.
My Racecar was stolen and is on the market.
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR, I AM ATTEMPTING TO RECOVER IT NOW.
Anyone with advice/experience or resources to help, I would be greatly appreciated.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/9157137-post1.html

Please assistance is needed, as I cant even get the police to take a report.
Jay Putnam

I apologize for the strong words. I have decided to give it a rest, for now. I have spent a lot of time on another website in a peeing contest.
I need to take break and wait for those involved and still living to contact me.
Alan Howes was to help me with this but he has since passed. RIP
I would like to clarify DREW BROWN WASNT PARTY TO THIS, I think he was an innocent bystander.
Attachments
356_photo_41465741384.jpg
356_13_coa1465741635.jpg
356_photo_21465741364.jpg
356_photo_11465741344.jpg
Last edited by Henry Jay Putnam IV on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Was it lost to a simple theft, or some kind of work or ownership dispute? What do the police have to say about it? Who's name is on the title?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

cory cotherman
356 Fan

#3 Post by cory cotherman »

If your name is on the title then go get "your" car. If your name is not on the title then it's not "your" car anymore. If he has a reissued title that's not in your name (somehow) then its a civil matter.

strictly my opinion. good luck!

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#4 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

I bought the car in 1991. I have the bill of sale, and the Title was signed over to me, I never titled the car, I went racing, as many CVR members will attest. It was an outright theft. I had enlisted Prescott Kelly in trying to find a buyer, for 20,000 plus, but before anything happened, It was stolen by Ken Hohenberger then sold to Alan Howes Complete, but partially disassembled for 8500 USD. I returned from hauling a load of shop equipment to Florida, to find it was taken from my shop while I was away. I was in shock, PTSD they call it, I sat down in a snow bank and started crying, and I could only imagine what had happened to it, I figured it was already at the Pomona Swap meet, and could kiss it good bye, as I wasnt even sure what date it was taken ( 2 to 3 week window ). I made the mistake of giving up on it, licked my wounds and continued my move South ( It was stolen in Mass. ) I didnt report it stolen immediately, and it was last registered in Wa. state in 1975. It wasnt until my son found it online, that I began to hunt it down, I posed as a buyer, and offered to buy it back, and pursue the thief my self. I had consulted an attorney who told me in 2014 that it would be pursued as a civil matter. I tried to report it stolen, and the local police, were judge, jury and executioner, they argued with me about taking a police report, so what was I to do? I still am baffled, as I have talked to every one from 3 different police departments, the FBI, and the North Western District Attorney. I am currently trying to work with local FBI, but this isnt So. Cal. where they take this stuff quite seriously. In Mass they couldnt find their ass with two hands and a mirror. Sorry, I sound so negative about it, but I am. I am NOT encouraged in the least that I will ever see that car again. Next to getting divorced, and my Sister passing, this is the worst thing I've had to sit by and watch happen in my life.
Thanks for asking.
Jay Putnam

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#5 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

I would like to clarify 2 points, Drew Brown, DID NOT KNOW this car was stolen, and I honestly believe Max Stratton didnt know it was stolen, I have more to add to that later
Jay Putnam
Last edited by Henry Jay Putnam IV on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Craig Richter »

Sorry to read about your troubles, Jay. I also suffered thru unexpected divorce, and the passing of two children... real life changers, and still brings many tears. But it sounds like you have much positive in your life to find purpose, so stay as strong as you can.
About 25 years ago, the bad guys got a ratty '59 Rometch convertible (hmmm, spell check no help on this one) out of my garage. Very complete but rough and rolling, new to me so not yet registered or insured, never recovered. One guess who got it, but the police could never find it. Probably in a container the next day, headed overseas. Restored, worth close to a million bucks today. There sure are a lot of bumps in this road of life.

Henry Jay Putnam IV
356 Fan

#7 Post by Henry Jay Putnam IV »

NEVER QUIT TRYING, it's the only way you will surely lose. And a truly wise statement my friend, there is a lot to be thankful for.

God Bless, Jay Putnam.
BTW your name rings bells, have we met?
I was the US Tuner for FVD/Brombacher, worked with Champion Motorsport, and ran Jay Putnam Engineering here in Delray Beach for about 10 years?

cory cotherman
356 Fan

#8 Post by cory cotherman »

You stated that the title was signed over to you but you never titled it.....take the title to the dmv and get it in you name. ASAP. hopefully you still have the title. Never leave a title "open" because you really don't own it till it's in your name!

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Erik Thomas »

Jay: I: agree, get the title in your name ASAP.. I hope you get your car back soon.

This situation informs us of a larger problem: Unregistered race cars. A lot of us got "old cars" when they had very little value. We did not take the time and money to properly register race cars. Race cars do not need registration, as they are not used on the road. By not having a registration, we avoid town taxes, state taxes. Racing is expensive enough.

However, take the time to consider that registration IS the chain of ownership particularly in non title states. This can be complicated in a state like Massachusetts or Rhode Island, where if you fail to register your new purchase within 30 days, they have substantial fines. In both of these states, having an old registration in the name of the person you purchase the car from is required.

If none of the subsequent "keepers" of your car ever registered it, you possess the old registration. That is ownership chain to you only.

My policy is to have at least an antique plate ( avoids some taxes ) on all cars even if not used on the road.

Erik

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

It might not have changed things much, but is there a reason why you did not report it to the police immediately? I would call if my lawnmower was stolen and especially if my race car was stolen.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steven Murray »

Erik Thomas wrote:Jay: I: agree, get the title in your name ASAP.. I hope you get your car back soon.

Erik
The Pelican advert says current sellers also have a title. Newer title might trump and invalidate the older title you have. For all your trouble you might just get a letter back saying 'sorry - there is a newer title on this car, no NEW title for you'. Maybe they got a title by calling it an abandoned car and posting an advert in some newspaper for a week - i think something like that is possible in some states to get a title on a ABANDONED car. The car is for sale in Danbury Ct - I live near there in NY. I see hundreds of cars for sale in CT and sellers assert that CT does not issue titles on cars over 10 years old, so many cars are for sale without titles and they act like a bill of sale is all that is needed. Not for me, I don't take the bait and just don't buy a CT car without a title. In reality I think NY would issue a title on such a car if I can also get the current registration documents for the CT car - but I still wouldn't take the chance. No CT cars for me. For 356 money - maybe i could buy a CT non-titled 356 I the money was held in escrow until all paper work clears in my state. How many sellers would go for that? No titles on a cars over 10 years old - just seems stupid. RI might be like that too.
Last edited by Steven Murray on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steven Murray »

I see you show the VIN via the COA - shouldn't you post in the registy's VIN lookup here that the car is stolen? I did a lookup and unlike some cars there are not owner comments or details on this car.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

Steven Murray wrote:
Erik Thomas wrote:Jay: I: agree, get the title in your name ASAP.. I hope you get your car back soon.

Erik
The Pelican advert says current sellers also have a title. Newer title might trump and invalidate the older title you have. For all your trouble you might just get a letter back saying 'sorry - there is a newer title on this car, no NEW title for you'. Maybe they got a title by calling it an abandoned car and posting an advert in some newspaper for a week - i think something like that is possible in some states to get a title on a ABANDONED car. The car is for sale in Danbury Ct - I live near there in NY. I see hundreds of cars for sale in CT and sellers assert that CT does not issue titles on cars over 10 years old, so many cars are for sale without titles and they act like a bill of sale is all that is needed. Not for me, I don't take the bait and just don't buy a CT car without a title. In reality I think NY would issue a title on such a car if I can also get the current registration documents for the CT car - but I still wouldn't take the chance. No CT cars for me. For 356 money - maybe i could buy a CT non-titled 356 I the money was held in escrow until all paper work clears in my state. How many sellers would go for that? No titles on a cars over 10 years old - just seems stupid. RI might be like that too.
NY won't issue a title either, the best you can hope for is a Transferable Registration. They are a pain to get because you have to insure the car, and it can take six months to get the transferable reg, meaning you are insuring a car that is probably sitting on jackstands. I once told my Allstate guy it was the easiest money he would ever make because unless a Tornado dropped by car on top of another car there was zero chance of an accident.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

You have a major mess. I don't know why you didn't pursue this as soon as you found that the car was stolen but this should be a lesson to others that would follow your example. You need a lawyer. I suspect that the only way to resolve this is to bring a suit against the person who actually took the car from where you were storing it. If you can't prove that theft easily then the legal fees will negate any settlement or just deplete your retirement fund.

I really just don't understand your inaction at the time of the theft when you should have fought to the last breath to retrieve your car.

I hope justice prevails.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

If you have plenty of money one thought is to buy it and then fight for justice, while having very low expectations. I know I could not afford to handle it that way.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna