Remember when Speedsters were worthless?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Remember when Speedsters were worthless?

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

BobDickinson wrote: I would duct tape up the passenger side curtains and use a can of window de-icer to keep the windshield clear on the inside.
My first was a pre-A also (no defroster vents for those with later cars). I found a 6-volt, rubber-bladed fan at the FLAPS, made a bracket to hang it from the dash cushion rail and had a 'defroster'. The rubber blades saved my knuckles.
BTW, for those of a certain age, you might have seen those fans on the dash of school buses. At that time, vehiclular heating systems were more of a rumor than fact and the fan allowed the driver to have a window to see where he was going.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

550-047 Purchased it for $1500.00 Bill Jones talked me out of it for $1600.00 Carrol Shelby's name was on the title. Look up the rest! al zim with many more stories!
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Max Handley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Max Handley »

Adam Speedster always had decent value. My first in 1966 was a 57 super . I paid $1600 for it which was a decent price in 1966. Never worthless but compared to today’s values you could say so.

Hooked ever since....those were the days !
Attachments
BD0A5FED-92EE-45C6-84AC-388EAAE45589.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

max handley wrote:Adam Speedster always had decent value. My first in 1966 was a 57 super . I paid $1600 for it which was a decent price in 1966. Never worthless but compared to today’s values you could say so.

Hooked ever since....those were the days !
Worthless in the sense that they weren't worth fixing. Like when you go to Pull-A-Part and there is a fairly new SAAB there, nothing visually wrong with it. You ask the guy and say, "Why is it here?" He say, "Needs a head gasket, not worth fixing."
Speedsters like the one I wrote about were like this, why fix this one when you can buy one for a few thousand.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#20 Post by Jim Liberty »

I met Bud west (One of the Registry founders) at an EC Holiday, 1982+/-. I was driving a '63 S-90 Sunroof. He posted a note in the bulletin board looking to swap his '55 Speedster for a SR Coupe. Long story short, we met on the Penn. Turnpike half way between us, and swapped even. That Speedie went on to win a first place at the "Down East Parade'86" in Portland.

For those who knew Bud, he was a champ of a human being. ...............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Liberty wrote:I met Bud west (One of the Registry founders) at an EC Holiday, 1982+/-. I was driving a '63 S-90 Sunroof. He posted a note in the bulletin board looking to swap his '55 Speedster for a SR Coupe. Long story short, we met on the Penn. Turnpike half way between us, and swapped even. That Speedie went on to win a first place at the "Down East Parade'86" in Portland.

For those who knew Bud, he was a champ of a human being. ...............................Jim.
Some of you might remember my story about this car, that was a very similar story of a 1 year old coupe, traded for a 55 Speedster. The Speedster guy was commuting from Long Island to NYC year round in the Speedster, and his neighbor had a brand new coupe. The roof and hear looked really good, so the trade was made.
Attachments
fjordBbarn.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bob Kittel »

during may college years, mid 60s, my roommate had a different speedster each semester. John Ackerman, still friends, he would pay around 1000 to 1500 for a fairly nice runner. One year he changed out to an A coupe for a while but went back to speedsters. I told him one day had he saved them all he would not have had to work towards retiring.
Bob Kittel